• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some w/c questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kill me2

Right now, I have a Swifttech MCR320 rad, a MCP350 pump, 1/2" tubing, 6 fans, and a res.
I did sort of an half-assed job in trying to clean the radiator (rinsed the inside with a bit with tap water, and fill it with white vinegar and set it aside for a few hours, and repeat), and I was wondering if it is safe to run vinegar thru the pump inorder to flush/clean the rad?

Also, does it matter which kind of antifreeze I use? Which to avoid?

kill me2 said:
Right now, I have a Swifttech MCR320 rad, a MCP350 pump, 1/2" tubing, 6 fans, and a res.
I did sort of an half-assed job in trying to clean the radiator (rinsed the inside with a bit with tap water, and fill it with white vinegar and set it aside for a few hours, and repeat), and I was wondering if it is safe to run vinegar thru the pump inorder to flush/clean the rad?

It won't hurt it if you leave it in for a short time, but I would not recommend leaving it for an extended period of time or running your computer with it in it. I actually didn't clean my rad out when I got it >.>

It doesn't really matter what you use in it for radiator fluid, as long as it is radiator fluid.

Thideras

i wouldnt run vinegar through it because then you have to flush it out as you dont really want the vinegar in loop with cooling fluid.

Just it with distilled water through it instead of vinegar let it run for a while and then dump that water as it will most likely pick up everything you couldnt flush out with vinegar.

Guys, come on. Vinegar? Just flush the thing with distilled water. When you are done fill with your mix of whatever you choose to use. Whatever the mix is, it will include mostly distilled water and NOT vinegar. Use distilled water.

kill me2 said:

As was mentioned, you could run a vinegar/water mix for a while if you wanted to, but you also have to realize that any gunk is going to be spread throughout your loop. It really is better to rinse and clean it all on its own.

As for antifreeze, if you are running an all copper loop, antifreeze is not really necessary as corrosion is not an issue. If you do want to run some antifreeze, your best bet is some form of pentosin antifreeze. You can search for it online. Common colors are blue and red. I bought a gallon of red Toyota antifreeze from a dealer (it is Pentosin) and use it mainly for the color. Pentosin does not contain silicates as some other antifreezes do, and silicates can cause problems and excessive tubing clouding.

I mean washing/flushing the rad with vinegar, but using a pump to force the liquid, but thats probably not an issue right now.

My pump finally arrived and installed petra's top. The hurdle that I didnt think of was completely filling and draining with ease, since the radiator is on top, it cannot completely fill with water. I suppose it isnt bad to quickly and continously start and stop the pump in order to try to fill it right?

kill me2 said:
I mean washing/flushing the rad with vinegar, but using a pump to force the liquid, but thats probably not an issue right now.

My pump finally arrived and installed petra's top. The hurdle that I didnt think of was completely filling and draining with ease, since the radiator is on top, it cannot completely fill with water. I suppose it isnt bad to quickly and continously start and stop the pump in order to try to fill it right?

Absolutely not. Matter fact thats what manufacturers recommend.

da0s said:
Absolutely not. Matter fact thats what manufacturers recommend.

Ah, so its perfectly normal to do a quick run-stop cycle? Cool.

Now all I need is a non-messy plan to fill it with water. :V

Just so this thread doesnt bore you, here are some pics.

DSCN2525-web.jpg

My 3rd attempt to try to completely fill the rad with water. (still hear sloshing inside).

DSCN2526-web.jpg

My soon to be modded case. See that nick on the top right of the case? Turns out it was too damn thick for the cutting disc. Going to try a jigsaw next time or go to a machine shop to do it properly.

I think a jigsaw would be kinda hard to cut the case with and may leave a lot of scratches unless masked off really well. Try looking for bigger cutting disks. I know there are a couple different sizes for dremels, one specificly for metal that is bigger in diameter.

Back