• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A way to try Vista?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wraith

I would love to give Vista a try, but I really dont want to drop the cash on the 30th for the gaming edition if I dont like the interface/speed of it.

My question is, is it possible to still download a beta or some sort of trial for it? Or is my only option to seek out a Vista machine or purchase it myself?

I am not supporting piracy so please try to look into this source and seek additional information before you try anything!!!

Ok... I read this before, and the site still remains. This article is in relation to the current release version of Vista.

Then, you enter your Product Key, which, as noted above, is used to determine which Vista version gets installed. Fun fact: You can choose not to enter a Product Key if you'd like. You'll then be prompted with a list of Vista product editions that you can install and evaluate for 30 days (picture link below). After that, you'll need to enter the Product Key you received or reinstall.
Picture ---> http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/winvista_rtm_install_09.jpg
Source ---> http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_03.asp

If that is the case then this is exactly what the doctor ordered. You see... the Windows CD itself is the software but not the license. You purchase the license which allows use of the software. So, apparently, if you don't own Vista, DON'T TYPE IN A CD KEY. The difference between older versions of Windows is that the Vista CD suppositely has a 30 day demo mode, if you don't actually own it. In that case, you simply need to do the "World of Warcraft" thing and find a friend with a CD (since I am under the impression that once you have the CDs that you can activate an account with Blizzard... and they don't mind).

Do be aware of two things. First off, your demo Vista could be inherently crippled and need deleted if you do obtain the real deal, depending on if you choose a different version (the quote states that you can enter a CD key later if you buy the same version... hmm...). Second, Vista supports dual booting assuming that you install it to its' own partition. It should set it up for you and you can use your Windows XP cd (in recovery console) to blast away the Vista bootloader once you are done.

Too bad I'm not certain whom you would contact to check on this "demo" idea... but it does seem odd that the installer would even allow for such a thing if Microsoft didn't want the demo option to be available.

Hmm I'll have to look into it! Where would I get a beta CD key? Are these obtainable from microsoft still?

I honestly have not payed any attention to vista for the past few months and I figure its time I give it a shot.

Is there a way to download vista and burn it to a CD to try out the "demo" you talked about? This seems like a good way for MS to let people try out the new interface for a while to get them hooked!

I tried a beta a few months ago. I did not like it at all. It was not that same as XP that we are so use to using for 5 years now. I was gonna try it again when the real version comes out this year. It did seem to also run slow on my machine. I would wait for the real thing to come out

kdrifter4402 said:
I tried a beta a few months ago. I did not like it at all. It was not that same as XP that we are so use to using for 5 years now. I was gonna try it again when the real version comes out this year. It did seem to also run slow on my machine. I would wait for the real thing to come out

Thats the whole idea, if I buy it it will be for video game sand I'll be putting down 400 bucks on it.

I would like to get some hands on before hand in case I DONT like it!

Wraith said:
Thats the whole idea, if I buy it it will be for video game sand I'll be putting down 400 bucks on it.

I would like to get some hands on before hand in case I DONT like it!

First off, if you don't mind waiting then wait until Vista releases... say mid February...

There is an upgrade option called anytime upgrade which should upgrade a Vista version to another higher version if you pay an upgrade cost. This is kinda cool... you could buy the lowest common demoninator version of Vista and upgrade if you like what you see.

However, there is a flaw to this approach... Microsoft hasn't released the prices for the upgrades... and there is hints that they might make you pay retail upgrade costs. So, if you have Home Premium (for example) and want to bump up to Ultimate edition then you would pay around $400 (might be a bit off) if Microsoft forces you to pay full upgrade costs. Ironically, Home Basic would pay the same amount in that case... same for Business edition...

That is the problems with a not released product... you are dealing mostly with rumors, reviews of beta versions, incomplete drivers, and general lack of information. There is no real reason to rush into the next Windows operating system, let the rest of the world do so and then see what the reviews bring. Also, you can see if the upgrade as you go idea is reasonable in price or outright insane.

It might be a good idea at this point to prepare for Vista as if you were going to get it... as in make sure you have all of your vital data backed up and read the limitations of the new operating system. For instance, Vista does not support IPX networking so games which rely on that for multiplayer (many Command and Conquer series games for instance) will not have multiplayer capabilities. In addition, your hardware may or may not be supported. There is a utility that helps you identify issues though.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

I do have the beta (beta 2 actually) and it is on my laptop as a dual boot. The trackpad driver (I know that the driver is in beta) goes insane quite regularly... enough to make me use a usb mouse in Vista. The audio drivers were not supported (funny, this laptop is Vista Capable...) and require hacked XP drivers to get anywhere. Plus, the video card drivers were in beta as well. All these beta drivers were causing performance issues (at least Vista was claiming that in the system reliability management center) and I fully believed it.

So, while you might be able to track down and install a beta version, be aware that it is just a beta. Also, if you do install Vista then you should be aware that many drivers aren't even fully released yet. So, there can be many annoying issues that would cause performance lapses anyways. Such issues would at least be acknoledged if not repaired come mid/end of February.

I know waiting is annoying but at the very least there is a release soon. How long has it been since XP released? :)

I say just wait and buy it.. The speeds aren't much different than XP. I have been using Vista it's beta release, I can't see myself going back to XP.

If you don't have a key yet, message me on AIM. AliansRreal

I could probably get you the key for my trial that I haven't used in months.

Vondoom said:
I say just wait and buy it.. The speeds aren't much different than XP. I have been using Vista it's beta release, I can't see myself going back to XP.

Same here.

I never heard of that 30 day trial period... good idea IMO.

It annoys me when people still poo-poo Vista based on thier experiences with Beta 1 & 2. There were 2 major builds since the betas, inwhich Vista improved considerably, and appearantly RTM is much better than RC2. I have been using RC2 since the day it came out, and I can count on one had the problems I have had.

Vista is great, worth using on two conditions.

1. you are not a FPS nut... you WILL loose some performance on games from XP, but appearantly 2k is better than XP for performance too.

2. You have decent hardware. Installing Vista on your Celeron 1.2GHz with 256mb SDRAM is proably not a good idea.

Oroka Sempai said:
Same here.

I never heard of that 30 day trial period... good idea IMO.

It annoys me when people still poo-poo Vista based on thier experiences with Beta 1 & 2. There were 2 major builds since the betas, inwhich Vista improved considerably, and appearantly RTM is much better than RC2. I have been using RC2 since the day it came out, and I can count on one had the problems I have had.

Vista is great, worth using on two conditions.

1. you are not a FPS nut... you WILL loose some performance on games from XP, but appearantly 2k is better than XP for performance too.

2. You have decent hardware. Installing Vista on your Celeron 1.2GHz with 256mb SDRAM is proably not a good idea.

I agree Vista is awesome. I just haven't gotten around to using it yet. I shared the computer before and didn't want to throw my sister and mom off with Vista. It was hilarious that one time I accidentally left Ubuntu up.

I might have a beta key around still thats still good. Probably used about half of the 10 installs you can use with it.

If you want to try im sure you can wait a bit and MS will release a demo of the actual RTM version instead of the beta's. Sure the beta is a nice point to start with but its definatly not something I'd base off from the actual OS. The RTM is definatly better then RC1, and slightly better then RC2.

Game wise at least its nearly the same as XP so no worries on that. But when you install it warning it does take a bit of ram, let alone HDD space.

I'll admit that I was a Vista hater since I first began reading about Longhorn and all that DRM garbage, but a few days ago I was messing around with it on my friend's lowly Sempron 1.6 GHz with 1 GB of RAM and a Radeon 9800 and I've got to say I was impressed with it. A dual-core and 1 GB of RAM should be able to tear through Vista. If I can get an OEM copy of the Business edition for a reasonable price then I'm going that route for my upcoming Conroe build.

benbaked said:
I'll admit that I was a Vista hater since I first began reading about Longhorn and all that DRM garbage, but a few days ago I was messing around with it on my friend's lowly Sempron 1.6 GHz with 1 GB of RAM and a Radeon 9800 and I've got to say I was impressed with it. A dual-core and 1 GB of RAM should be able to tear through Vista. If I can get an OEM copy of the Business edition for a reasonable price then I'm going that route for my upcoming Conroe build.

Remember OEM's are limited to a set number of hardware changes be warned.

Vista is great if you don't want to run any software. :) I was running Vista Ultimate x64 for several weeks but had too many crashes from games and other software.

Tried it again a few weeks ago hoping that new drivers or some updates would help but no go.

Anyway, a good way to try Vista is find someone with an MSDN account. Or you could get your MCSE. I think they are still giving out free MSDN accounts to MCSE's.

lorax26 said:
Vista is great if you don't want to run any software. :) I was running Vista Ultimate x64 for several weeks but had too many crashes from games and other software.

Tried it again a few weeks ago hoping that new drivers or some updates would help but no go.

Anyway, a good way to try Vista is find someone with an MSDN account. Or you could get your MCSE. I think they are still giving out free MSDN accounts to MCSE's.
hmph 32-bit runs awesome, didnt have a problem yet been running good since release

lorax26 said:

What games and what software? As well you sure ti wasn't the GPU drivers since alot where saying that the drivers for the X1950XT was pretty shotty with the 7.1 and 7.2 patchs or it wasn't supported forgot which.

got any friends/family with Vista retail?

During install, when it asks for a serial you can skip this step, install whatever version you want. you get a 30 day trial

Don't forget that the 30-day trial can be "reset" legally 3 times (total = 120 days) with a shell command - do a google search for vista trial or something similar (it's documented somewhere on MS' site as well).

Also, I seem to recall reading that a built-in backdoor exists in the corporate editions that can extend the grace to slightly more than a year. I saw this on a glance-through, so I wouldn't put too much into that.

Back