• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Failed To Load Error...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TombKeeper

Windows Failed To Start Error...Windows restarts comp constantly!

Hi! I'm having a problem with my comp... this wasn't happening several months ago, and now it's doing it quite often. The problem is is that a lot of times when I turn the comp on or do a restart, Windows will tell me that it failed to start or whatever.... which then gives me the options to start normally, last good config, etc...

Anyone know how to figure what's causing this?

I'm using the following apps:
* AVG 7.5 Internet Security (trial version...which I'll uninstall and just just the AVG Antivirus version)
* Window Blinds 5
* APC PowerChute PE
* Creative Volume Control (what the heck is this anyways?)
* nVidia panel

In Task Manager I got the following:
AVGCC.exe
wpCtrl.exe
rundll32.exe (two separate ones)
dhtml.exe
ctfmon.exe
Floater.exe
apcsystray.exe
CTSysVol.exe
CTDVDDET.exe
CTHELPER.exe
svchost.exe (6 separate ones)
wdfmgr.exe
alg.exe
avgamsvr.exe
mainserv.exe
smss.exe
avgupsvc.exe
avgrssvc.exe
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe
services.exe
lsass.exe
avgemc.exe
CTSVCCDA.exe
DTSRVC.exe
nvsvc32.exe
spoolsv.exe
avgfwsrv.exe

What's up with 6 separate svchost.exe processes?? Is that normal? And what the heck are the CT* things in there? Any that can be stopped without problems?

Thanks for any help....

Last edited:
CThelper:
It provides an interface for 3rd party programms to the drivers of creative soundcards.
i would assume the others are related to your sound card as well. you can keep them from being started when you boot by running msconfig.

TombKeeper said:
Hi! I'm having a problem with my comp... this wasn't happening several months ago, and now it's doing it quite often. The problem is is that a lot of times when I turn the comp on or do a restart, Windows will tell me that it failed to start or whatever.... which then gives me the options to start normally, last good config, etc...

Anyone know how to figure what's causing this?

I'm using the following apps:
* AVG 7.5 Internet Security (trial version...which I'll uninstall and just just the AVG Antivirus version)
* Window Blinds 5
* APC PowerChute PE
* Creative Volume Control (what the heck is this anyways?)
* nVidia panel

In Task Manager I got the following:
AVGCC.exe
wpCtrl.exe
rundll32.exe (two separate ones)
dhtml.exe
ctfmon.exe
Floater.exe
apcsystray.exe
CTSysVol.exe
CTDVDDET.exe
CTHELPER.exe
svchost.exe (6 separate ones)
wdfmgr.exe
alg.exe
avgamsvr.exe
mainserv.exe
smss.exe
avgupsvc.exe
avgrssvc.exe
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe
services.exe
lsass.exe
avgemc.exe
CTSVCCDA.exe
DTSRVC.exe
nvsvc32.exe
spoolsv.exe
avgfwsrv.exe

What's up with 6 separate svchost.exe processes?? Is that normal? And what the heck are the CT* things in there? Any that can be stopped without problems?

Thanks for any help....

The multiple svchost startups are normal.

You have to be more specific advising what isn't starting or loading, whether it's a system file or another program.

You can search Google by file name to see what each one is or you can look here:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/

When at the Windows Advanced Options menu, and after selecting the "Start Windows Normally" option... Windows starts to load and then blue screens / locks up, or does the PC reboot? If you're getting a BSOD, what's the exact error message? Can you enter Safe Mode, and which OS are you running?

It just reboots....no BSOD. The actual message is it fails to start...not load as i mentioned before. Sometimes i need to select start normally, sometimes use last good known config....no pattern as to which of the 2 works best.

Could this be from overclocking? Put the fsb down to 230 from 240...and restarted several times and no problems yet....not concrete yet as days have gone by before and everything is ok.

It's more than likely being caused by an unstable OC. Test your RAM using Memtest86+ (failing Memtest can also lead you other problems like insufficient or excessive Vcore, Vdimm, NB voltage, HTT link, etc. Reset the HTT to 240 like you were at previously, and run Memtest... any errors at all indicate a problem(s), and as such will cause problems for Windows.

Put it back to 240fsb... let MemTest run till 360% or so (told me to use x2 instances at 836Mb each or something like that, so that's what I did).... No errors.

Have started several times now and nothing wrong.... what the heck is going on? I did disable firewire, MIDI and some other useless-to-me stuff in the bios though....so we'll see if it comes back.

Everything was fine for the last 2 weeks for some reason...now, it won't load into windows...

Gets to the windows logo screen with that 3-square green light going across, then restarts...doesn't even start in safe mode.... It just keeps restarting when i get to the windows logo screen...before login screen would load. Put the oc down to 200 and same thing still happens....

Was told by a comp shop i'd need to reload windows....read in the A+ book that it's a Windows services problem or whatnot........ WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Do I have to re-install Windows? If so, should i get vista and install that instead or wait on that..?

Any advice please?

I experienced similar problems with my Asus A8N-E.

After I replaced the chipset cooler with an aftermarket chipset cooler my problems went away for good. It seems that the nvidia chipset does not tolerate poor cooling.

If you haven't already, try loading either Failsafe Defaults or Optimized Defaults in the BIOS... preferably the Failsafe setting. After you've loaded the default settings, only change those that are absolutely necessary for Windows to load. Leave vital settings like Vcore, Vdimm, SPD timings, etc. at their default values... but change settings like Boot Order, IDE / SATA Controllers (Enabled / Disabled), APM, etc. as necessary.

Back