• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I bulk remove characters from file names?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
She (not mine) scanned hundreds of documents into the computer (actually about 800), and gave them really pretty names. Multiple periods, commas, &, #.

Now these files need to be dropped into a SharePoint companyweb, where these are not acceptable characters.

I'm looking for a script/tool/utility that will strip out the illegal characters.

A bulk rename will not work as the file names and document names are critical (just want to strip out the following "& # , . " leaving the extension period naturally

Any ideas?

Windows XP is the OS.

eaglescouter said:
She (not mine) scanned hundreds of documents into the computer (actually about 800), and gave them really pretty names. Multiple periods, commas, &, #.

Now these files need to be dropped into a SharePoint companyweb, where these are not acceptable characters.

I'm looking for a script/tool/utility that will strip out the illegal characters.

A bulk rename will not work as the file names and document names are critical (just want to strip out the following "& # , . " leaving the extension period naturally

Any ideas?

Windows XP is the OS.

I use this program for all my batch renaming:

http://www.1-4a.com/rename/

It'll do what you are looking to do, it's quite powerful, just take a little time and get used to it.

jivetrky said:
I use this program for all my batch renaming:

http://www.1-4a.com/rename/

It'll do what you are looking to do, it's quite powerful, just take a little time and get used to it.

That did part of the job.

Remaining: Removal of inappropriate periods in file names such as "ltr.toclientsept.05.doc" Your suggested tool does not handle illegal file names.

if you use the Replace option, just put each character in and then leave the second field blank or add a single space.

This also works for the .'s ...it will remove all but the last one

EDIT: The program really can do alot. Sometimes I have to sit there for a few minutes to figure out how to properly manipulate it, but in the end I've never not been able to rename a file how I wanted.

Back