• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCR320 Barbs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T1Cybernetic

Does anyone know of a good set of barbs to go with the MCR320-QP? as it doesnt come with any as standard :(

I didnt realise it wouldnt have any in the box so i didnt order any :confused: and now i have it in my
hands im not exactly sure what size i need so i thought i should come here for some help :)

Im in the uk too so if you know of any places to order from that would be great :beer:

Just for example, which ones from the page here would fit the MCR320?
im sorry but i just can not get my head around the sizes for some reason :bang head

I originaly was going to get some 3/8" BSP 1/2" Barbs for it but then i got all confuzed
over all the different sizes. heres what it says on the site for the barbs i am looking at.

3/8" BSP 1/2" Barb - 3/8" BSP Threaded Barb for 1/2" ID Tubing. Suitable for use with ThermoChill Radiators, and for Eheim 1250 Pump Outlets.

I thought, great those will do :beer: but then i went into overdrive, got confused and now im here again looking for help :D

(Reference #217)
(Reference #252)

Those two assuming BSP is the same as NPT which I think it is. AFAIK ThermoChill uses 3/8 NPT so any 3/8 NPT or BSP will work. You will need to use thread tape and/or O rings on them also. If you are using 1/2 tubing they you will need a 1/2" barb so the ones you have listed above will work.

Double check your box. When I got my mcr220 I thought it didn't come with barbs either. They were loose and mixed in with the white peanuts.

To be honest thats the bit im a little stuck on :D i wasnt sure if BSP was the same things as NPT :) and i didnt want
to be taking chances ordering some if i only had to send them back within a couple of hours of recieving them :D

Theres plenty of info around but it confuses me, here's the wiki page's and i dont understand it 100% either

BSP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_standard_pipe_thread
NPT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread

It looks like it's just a thread out though, BSP @3/8 is 18 threads per inch and NPR @ 3/8 is 19 per inch.

kenny_k said:
Double check your box. When I got my mcr220 I thought it didn't come with barbs either. They were loose and mixed in with the white peanuts.

You got my hopes up then :p and i went and checked :drool: but nothing there :rolleyes: it does say on the
swiftech website that it comes with no barbs though right at the bottom of the radiator spec page.

Swiftnets.com said:
Bare triple 120mm radiator , Black, with mounting screws

The taper angle is 5° different between NPT and BSP. With thread sealant this should not cause a problem.

sorry to hear that T1, i was hoping they were there. sidewinder also carries the 3/8 npt in either 3/8 or 1/2 od (only white)

BSPP (aka G1/4) and NPT ARE NOT THE SAME and DO NOT try to use them in one another's threaded holes. They have different thread counts so using the wrong fitting in the wrong threaded hole will strip one or both items.
BSPP is a straight thread and is meant to be used with O-rings
NPT is a taper thread

I decided to send an email to swiftech support and got a very much welcome reply earlier.

Swiftech Support said:
Hi,

The radiator hubs are threaded 3/8” NPT. So basically you can use any barbs that use those thread specs.

We sell them for both 1/2'” ID tubing and 3/8” ID tubing on our website.

http://swiftech.com/store/product_details.asp?ProdID=328

Regards,

"Name Edited Out"

yea, make sure you use teflon tape as well incase you don't know.

and you might need a wrech to tighten them because they get pretty tight 3/4 of the way down.

(btw, make sure you clean the rad with 2 vineager/salt soaks. the first soak with my rad turned up with basicly clear. the second 6 hour soak turned up with a hella lot of white stuff.)

darkcow said:
yea, make sure you use teflon tape as well incase you don't know.

and you might need a wrech to tighten them because they get pretty tight 3/4 of the way down.

(btw, make sure you clean the rad with 2 vineager/salt soaks. the first soak with my rad turned up with basicly clear. the second 6 hour soak turned up with a hella lot of white stuff.)

What do you mean by soaking the radiator? Actually submerging the unit in a mix or flushing the unit with the mix?

Radiators are only really supposed to have water on the inside :) Flushing the
radiator "inside" is best otherwise you risk damage to the outside fins /rust etc.

Luckily i've been waiting for some barbs and pump so i've had two days to flush out the radiator and up until now i've only had
a little dust and grime come out with two treatments of a vinegar and salt soak and the last one before i put on the plugs will
be a flush through with a bit of distilled water, it seems to be clean now though.

7 months is not quite a record on this place :p And atleast you used the search feature :drool:

Anyway i bought some of these: http://store.over-clock.com/barbs.html#a217
and they fit perfectly with a little teflon /plummers tape around the threads x3.

The metal ones @ 3/8" BSP 1/2" Barb work almost the same but needed a little more tape on them so i stuck with the blue ones. Anyhow 7 months on and still no leaks :beer:

my mcr320 from newegg, has 1/4 barbs, the older ones have 3/8

the 1/4 are the same on the swiftech blocks so you can use them and get nice shinny ones

7 months is not quite a record on this place :p And atleast you used the search feature :drool:

Anyway i bought some of these: http://store.over-clock.com/barbs.html#a217
and they fit perfectly with a little teflon /plummers tape around the threads x3.
So you used 3/8" BSP with no problems? Captain Slug said 3/8" BSPP is the same as G1/4, so are 3/8" BSP the same? Does that extra P mean something?

I actually Googled and this was one of the results :beer:

my mcr320 from newegg, has 1/4 barbs, the older ones have 3/8

the 1/4 are the same on the swiftech blocks so you can use them and get nice shinny ones
I'm gonna phone the store and ask what kinda fittings they have on these MCR320s.

I'd love to just be able to use some DangerDen Hi-Flow G1/4 fittings :(

Back