• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ctfmon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Ok so far I know this darn thing coems with Microsoft Office suite. Thing is I don't have that installed and I still have ctfmon running. I've read the thing on MS site about how to remove it, but it talkes about Microsoft Office suite. Is there any way to get rid of this bloody thing.

Wicked Klown said:
Ok so far I know this darn thing coems with Microsoft Office suite. Thing is I don't have that installed and I still have ctfmon running. I've read the thing on MS site about how to remove it, but it talkes about Microsoft Office suite. Is there any way to get rid of this bloody thing.

I am in the same boat on my aunts laptop. No office install but journal viewer and excel viewer and i think works installed. No option for alternative user input in the add remove programs though. :(

brakezone said:
I think ctfmon gets installed along with IE7

Yah, apparently need winpatrol to block it from installing when installing IE7 thanks for the input :)

You can remove it from startup and then NOT open ie7 and maybe it wont show up in taskmanager. I am on aunts PC though so nothing but ie7 or AOL for this laptop :(

Ultimately, if you’ve disabled the feature in Office you can unregister the components so it doesn’t continue to run in the background. 1. Click Start Button and then select Run.
2. In the Run… dialog box, enter the following command:
Regsvr32.exe /u msimtf.dll
3. Click OK.
4. In the Run… dialog box, enter the following command:
Regsvr32.exe /u msctf.dll
5. Click OK.
6. Reboot

Wicked Klown said:

Guys,

I have that sucker loading too but I do have MS Office installed for Excel and Word only.

MSKB states:

"Step 1: Uninstall Alternative User Input

To uninstall the alternative user input feature, set the installation state to Not Available in Office XP Setup."

Does this mean I have to run the MS Office install again?

Get a copy of Security Task Manager, end the process and quarantine it. That will probably get rid of this running on the PC.

Wicked Klown said:
Did all that and it still comes back

Same here. Of the Office suite programs, I only ever installed Word and Excel, nothing else. It's still there following the MS instructions.

I stopped it from running by doing this:
Control Panel, Date Time Language and Regional Options, Regional and Language Options, Languages, Details, Advanced, check the box "Turn off Advanced Text Services". It's that easy

kbtat2 said:
I stopped it from running by doing this:
Control Panel, Date Time Language and Regional Options, Regional and Language Options, Languages, Details, Advanced, check the box "Turn off Advanced Text Services". It's that easy

Cripes, you're right! Give this man a beer. :beer:

You're better than MS Knowledge Base! :)

Back