• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for help with music playing programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
Guys... Years ago, I remember everything seemingly being about Winamp and Musicmatch Jukebox (used both at various times). Both ended up putting out horrible versions that turned me off to thier products. I refuse to try I-Tunes.

Has winamp Improved? Is there another, possibly open-source, media player that is great with MP3's?

Winamp has improved *slightly*. Its not that bad really. THere is another program that can be used to play audio, i beleive its called 'Jet Audio' or something similar. Its not bad.

Foobar is pretty great too, and it's open source. I currently use Foobar on my laptop, but I use Winamp on the main rig. I personally like winamp better, even though the latest version is kinda a resource hog; uses 50mb compared to foobars <10mb. But winamp has a lot of useful plugins for it and the media library is nice. That's mainly why I use it.

TempliNocturnus said:
Foobar is pretty great too, and it's open source. I currently use Foobar on my laptop, but I use Winamp on the main rig. I personally like winamp better, even though the latest version is kinda a resource hog; uses 50mb compared to foobars <10mb. But winamp has a lot of useful plugins for it and the media library is nice. That's mainly why I use it.

You really need to check out the thousands of plugins that are available for Foobar2000, including a VERY robust media library.

I like winamp, although search their website for the light-weight version. The normal installation they prefer is full of useless junk.

Back