• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another All-in-one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

Having look at some of the reviews and trying out the interactive guide here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

I find myself thinking that I would like to have one of these--with a few caveats.

My sister and brother-in-law just bought me an iPod Nano. Now, I'm not really one who usually shines to Apple in general, and I have mixed emotions about using this Nano. I would have never spent that much money on one for myself! Right now, I can say two things about the Nano (and Apple products in general). First, is that I absolutely hate the fact that the hardware locks you in to Apple products and services. The iTunes software (at least for Windows) is slow, unintuitive, and difficult to navagate to get what you want. It also is trying to force me to open an iTunes account (with a manditory credit card, of course) in order to use some of the Nano's features. But, secondly, once you figure out how to get your content on the iPod, operating and navigating it is really intuitive and --gasp-- almost enjoyable. Its compact size and quality add to its (and probably most other Apple products as well) "cool factor". It is, like other Apple products, more expensive than it ought to be for the functions it performs.

After going through the interactive preview, I can see that Apple's programmers/engineers have once again created an intuitive navigation system for this new phone. This is important because so many functions are packed into such a small form factor and I doubt that any other company--especially MS--would be able to get a user interface that would be--well--usable.

That being said, it's way too expensive (as usual) and I have no doubt that the monthly fees and the length of contract necessary to get all that functionality for this device would be prohibitive as well. I think I'll be waiting another 3-5 years before I spend that much money on such a convergence device.

BTW: iPhone is a trademark owned by Cisco:

http://www.computerworld.com/action...ArticleBasic&articleId=9007798&intsrc=hm_list

http://www.businessweek.com/technol...ogy_technology+index+page_today's+top+stories

Last edited:
Well those open questions actually just have one valid question from a global point of view: "What will it cost"? In most countries it won't be sold in a same manner as the states, meaning subvented to just one operator (or even subvented).

Anyway, to answer the All in one question:

The real question is how well it does all the different things, and how intuitive it is to use it. Most mobile phones on the market already do almost everything the iPhone does, but they do it in a mediocre way. My first smart phone I got over 2 years ago had a camera, mp3 player, pop3 / imap client, web-browser, calendar ect. The user interface and half baked implementations of applications just made it so annoying to use that I shortly replaced the phone with something dumber (that worked).

If the user interface is as good as they say, it could easily work as an all in one solution.

I believe its success will be dependent on how and who it is marketed to.

And that is one thing Apple has always excelled at. Their marketing stomps any other PC and MP3 player maker and I doesn’t look like it would take much to be competitive with phone makers as well.

Not another iPod? Probably not as big, but I wouldn’t count out similar success. $600 is pricy, but so is $600 for a PS3. Not the same thing, you say? Not it you consider the “status” factor that sells half the gadgets these days. True, functionality is what pushed the iPod, but it was marketing and the “status” feature that made it number 1.

I also believe this will be a launching year for Apple. I just bought a new iBook, my first Mac, because of the quality and because they now meet my needs and price. I also needed a Mac in order to brush up on my OSX knowledge due to the increased number of users I have to support that have bought them. Apple is going to get big and don’t be surprised if they use the iPhone to exaggerate their number of “OSX users” even more.

Personally, I hate phones of any kind and only carry a mobile when work demands it. Its internet feature is neat, but won’t be able to provide me with any necessary tools. I just bought my first iPod, the new shuffle. I couldn’t be happier with it, but it took Apple a while to produce a product that matched my needs and budget. The only thing that appeals to me about the iPhone is the coolness factor but its not enough to justify the price.

FeralCom: How had Apple marketing stomped other PC? Apple Only makes up 3% of the PC market. There ads are targeted at people who don't know much about computers. The basic e-mail using word prosseser type users.

MACs used to have a place in the PC market, now they are just the same as all PC but with OSX and harder to upgrade.

The only thing Apple has going for them is gimmicks. That's all the Iphone is a gimmick. A PDA/moble phone/laptop in one. Then you run into a problem battery life. Are you going to have to plug you Iphone into the USB to charge it like your Ipod

I guess I should have said “successful advertising”. Apple weaves their products into pop culture creating the most recognized icons (regardless of sales).

I still do not understand how everything will work, but it appears there will be a major problem with it competing with the Treos and Blackberries.

If my understanding is correct, there is no Outlook Support and Macs are unable to use Web Mail from Exchange 2003 servers (unless something changed) so the majority of corporate email is out the window. Makes me believe even more that Apple is going to be targeting these things to the same crowd they did the iPod.

I just wanted to add a quick update:

I returned the Nano. I just couldn't deal with the POS iTunes software. The 4GB Nano was $200, and I replaced it with a Creative Zen Vision: M 30GB that was on sale for the same price. It's not quite as 'cool' as a Nano (or iPod Video, which this really compares to--and which costs $150 more).

Here is the point: If the software for the iPhone (or whatever they end up calling the thing) is as bad as iTunes--then they may as well flush the phone now. The poor software coupled with the attempt to lock you into Apple services will kill it. I tried to make the best of the Nano with the iTunes, but the software and attempt at lock in killed it for me. I couldn't do what *I* wanted to do with it, so returned it was. The Zen, on the other hand, works fine with its included software AND with any OTHER music software out there (WMP, WinAmp, etc.) AND it is compatible with every music subscription service EXCEPT iTunes--and that exception is OK with me! The Zen also has an FM tuner and voice recorder AND a MUCH nicer screen than the iPod video. I expect another company to ape the iPhone (or whatever...) and improve the software and lose the proprietary lock ins. It won't be as 'cool' as the iPhone (or whatever...), but it will work the way *I* want it to. Such a phone will likely beat it [the iPhone or...] down like an ugly red-headed step child.

Back