• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Even Dell's into water cooling (with TEC...)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaronjb

Interesting. Dell's into the water-cooling game with their top-of-the-line XPS. I'm sure that it's not as good as a well-tuned custom setup, but I bet it's been tested quite well for longevitiy and durability.

But, with the TEC + radiator, maybe it's more of a gimmic than anything else. Click the "Technology" menu, then choose "H2C Cooling". "See How H2C Works" talks a bit about the cooling. The "circuitry" regulates the speed of the pump and fan, and manages power to the TEC depending on load conitions.

But Quad SLI? I'd rather have two 8800GTX cards.

XPS 710

aaronjb said:
Interesting. Dell's into the water-cooling game with their top-of-the-line XPS. I'm sure that it's not as good as a well-tuned custom setup, but I bet it's been tested quite well for longevitiy and durability.

But, with the TEC + radiator, maybe it's more of a gimmic than anything else. Click the "Technology" menu, then choose "H2C Cooling". "See How H2C Works" talks a bit about the cooling. The "circuitry" regulates the speed of the pump and fan, and manages power to the TEC depending on load conitions.

But Quad SLI? I'd rather have two 8800GTX cards.

XPS 710

An All Out Graphics Assault
This powerful gaming solution includes the optional power of dual NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics cards

Its an option :) Its the only option on the link you provided.

Thats sweet, and since its a "package" PC the must guarentee it, so no worries about it being TEC cooled. :)

Last edited:
The interesting part is not only that dell will sell liquit cooling pc but also overclocked. Cooling unit looks like Coolit made. http://www.coolitsystems.com/

Intel® CoreTM 2 Extreme QX6700 Factory Overclocked to 3.2GHz
Intel® CoreTM 2 Extreme X6800 Factory Overclocked to 3.46GHz

Last edited:
It's great that this technology is "trickling up" from the enthusiast market to a more general consumer market. Whether or not the system itself is any good, I'm in no position to decide. But it looks as though the design beats out the Alienware cooling.

What do botique vendors such as VoodooPC and Falcon Northwest use for water-cooled systems? Anyone have experience with one of these systems?

Drinkyoghurt said:
old news, btw for $6500 i'd rather build 3 of those

So damn true, one day at work a co-worker and i decided to see how much a dell really costs. We built one from newegg and one from ebay. No matter what route you go we nailed it down to half the cost that dell was asking for. And we probably were using a better mobo and ram. Damn they jack people left and right. But there products last a f'ing long as time. Gotta love it.

aaronjb said:
It's great that this technology is "trickling up" from the enthusiast market to a more general consumer market. Whether or not the system itself is any good, I'm in no position to decide. But it looks as though the design beats out the Alienware cooling.

What do botique vendors such as VoodooPC and Falcon Northwest use for water-cooled systems? Anyone have experience with one of these systems?
I agree Im glad to see it moving in to the reg market , BTW dell and Alienware are the same thing dell bought them out .

About voodo PC they are located in the same city as i live i guess i should stop in some day and have a look .

||Console|| said:
I agree Im glad to see it moving in to the reg market , BTW dell and Alienware are the same thing dell bought them out.

Dell purchased Alienware, but from what I understand, Alienware still operates as a distinct entity. Hence the competing product lines among Dell and Alienware. VoodooPC, on the other hand, was absorbed into HP, but will retain VoodooPC branding on products.

Drinkyoghurt said:

I didn't realize this was old, sorry. I got an announcement from Dell only yesterday. I was under the impression this was announced at CES this week.

OCnewbee said:
So damn true, one day at work a co-worker and i decided to see how much a dell really costs. We built one from newegg and one from ebay. No matter what route you go we nailed it down to half the cost that dell was asking for. And we probably were using a better mobo and ram. Damn they jack people left and right. But there products last a f'ing long as time. Gotta love it.

Dont forget an OS and warrenty. You really cant beat Dells low end prices. High end yeah you can beat them but you can't a new one there the next morning if something breaks.

I think this is funny. I just read the article about the PC Migration service and they also mentioned the watercooling as if they were the first one's to use it. And what? It costs us $300-$500 and Dell charges probably $2k for it.

Last edited:
this isn't unexpected, Dell did buy Alienware so they obviously have a wealth of untapped water and extreme cooling knowledge lying about the factory so to speak.

hey guys wuts that thing infront of the rad TEC heat exchanger ? i thought the Tec heat exchanger was like pad on top the block it just looks like a second radiator 2 me can someone explain thanks

btw its not worth it but it sure looks cool

acutally nvm i figured out how cool it works but im still in confusion of the tec in dells new comp ?

Last edited:
Looks neat at least heh. easy to apply/remove which i cant say my watercooling has ever been. The tec kind of looks like a supplement to the heat exchanger. so, the rad fan cools the rad and a heatsink attached to a tec to make the coolant a little bit colder.

and here i thought dell just rebranded coolermasters product ha ha like alienware did. and interesting concept, but too much complexity and probably not enough cool.
I'll bet me single core BIX setup would do as well or better.

I wont hack dell down anymore though. For somone who isnt that comfortable with computers but has a pretty good idea of what they want to do with it, they deliver some decent rigs, contrary to this model, usually at a good price.

Phrenetical said:
this isn't unexpected, Dell did buy Alienware so they obviously have a wealth of untapped water and extreme cooling knowledge lying about the factory so to speak.

QFT

Dell is just transitioning over the Alienware knowledge into their machines. HP bought Voodoo because they literally had NO gaming machines until that point.

Dell is a bit better known by the masses then Alienware so they can use the recognition to market niche known (WCing is NOT a well known/used idea outside of the OCers and serious techies) to the masses as something new and exciting. We will all sit back and laugh while biased/bought sites and mags will market it as the second coming and how exciting it is.

Never stump a salesman at a meeting by asking questions he doesnt know, the glares you get suck.(I asked about upcoming SLI/Xfire rigs and was literally stumping the HP sales rep).

Drinkyoghurt said:

Indeed. I just can't imagine spending $6500 on a computer. Thats half of a new car... heck, its the price of a new cruiser or sport bike. Unless Dell can make a PC I can drive in for $6500 I don't see why anyone would touch that. Even the incompetent workers at Fry's and PC Club have models that can come close to the performance of those units and they cost half as much.

Back