• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two disks for XP Media Center?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aliensRreal

When I ordered all the parts for my computer I also ordered a new copy of XP. To my surprise there are three disks, but only two of them have the decorative designs on them. The first disk seems to be like a normal Windows XP disk, but the second one just has a folder and a few sub folders. I want to remake the disk using nLite because of a service pack error during the install. Does anyone know if this second CD is needed for the install?

Whoa there man, Media Center comes with two XP Install disks... 1 & 2. the third disk in there are some rollup updates for Media Center that you should install, but AFTER you get updated to the newest .net framework form the microsoft site... otherwise it'll cause all kinds of ugliness

When doing the install, you should be prompted to put the 2nd disk in, then shortly there after, you'll get prompted again to put the first back in. You need to do this, otherwise your windows install isn't going to be what you think it should be... stuff will be missing/wont work... etc etc etc

~ Gos

aliensRreal said:
When I ordered all the parts for my computer I also ordered a new copy of XP. To my surprise there are three disks, but only two of them have the decorative designs on them. The first disk seems to be like a normal Windows XP disk, but the second one just has a folder and a few sub folders. I want to remake the disk using nLite because of a service pack error during the install. Does anyone know if this second CD is needed for the install?

Remaking the first disk wouldn't cause any problems with the install would it? I would normally just try this, but I only have one blank CD right now with no money to spare for more.

Better yet, could I combine the two disks onto one DVD and have things still work out?

Why not just use the CDs supplied? Boot to CD1, run through install, it asks for CD2, put that in, it asks for CD with SP2, put CD1 back in. Then once running to Windows Updates, grab all available, and then do CD3.

Does that still not work? If the CD itself is bad I doubt that making a copy would help any, in that case just request a new one.

I just bought that ver of windows off newegg. And like posted above and in about 1/2 the reviews on newegg. You put in disk 1..... then disk 2.... then when it askes for the media disk you put disk 1 back in. You have to then activate your copy and update it. If you dont update it and try to put that 3rd disk in you get an error about .net not installed or something close to it. Once I got mine updated that 3rd disk worked fine, and so does my system.

I guess I will just have to use my Dell disk. It almost doesn't seem worth it to send the disk back.

Back