• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista on laptops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I have a sony VAIO VGN-FS790. It has a 1.73ghz pentium-m and 2gb of memory in it. It has a 4200rpm 60GB hd.

I only use this laptop for things work related. I use Quicken, MS office, internet, sometimes a few games here or there but they aren't anything special and not required. I was wondering if I'd be able to run vista on this machine and run it smoothly. I've had the same install of windows on here since Feb. of last year and I am about ready to reformat and install a new OS again. If vista will run good I'll put it on here. Any ideas what it should cost in the store?

Thanks,
Duck

from the experience I've with vista on my system, I feel it will run very smoothly on your laptop due to the 2gb of ram. BUT, I would just reinstall your old OS for now and let all the bugs with vista be ironed out first.

ToiletDuck said:
I have a sony VAIO VGN-FS790. It has a 1.73ghz pentium-m and 2gb of memory in it. It has a 4200rpm 60GB hd. ..I was wondering if I'd be able to run vista on this machine and run it smoothly...Any ideas what it should cost in the store?

Thanks,
Duck

Vista should run fine. I've been running RC2 beta on an A64 3000+ HTPC w/1GB RAM and integrated video since it's release and it runs very smoothly with no problems whatsoever; All features activated, including Aero. The only thing I'd recommend is that you replace the 4200 RPM HDD with a 7200RPM unit. It will be a relatively small investment which will have a profound impact on your overall system performance, regardless of chosen OS.

Vista Business: Suggested retail price for full package product, $299.00 USD. Suggested upgrade retail price, $199.00 USD.

Vista Ultimate: Suggested retail price for full package product, $399.00 USD. Suggested upgrade retail price, $259.00 USD.

Discount retailers such as Vio Software are likely to offer it at a lower price.

Cyrix_2k said:
from the experience I've with vista on my system, I feel it will run very smoothly on your laptop due to the 2gb of ram. BUT, I would just reinstall your old OS for now and let all the bugs with vista be ironed out first.
Sounds almost like an IT/IS Professional talking. :thup:

Vista is still a year or more off for me. Let the dust settle code-base-wise first and let them clean the damned thing up.

Well you guys use it for more than I would. This is a work laptop. I contract to the airforce training pilots. My gaming rig won't go vista for some time. I just A) am about to reinstall something and more imporantly B)Love eyecandy on machines that don't have any real needs for tons of power :D

Well the biggest thing to consider at this point will be compatability. Will all of the applications you are currently using work with Vista? Or will the upgrade to Vista mean upgrading everything else you use (and payed for)?

There will likely be initial problems too, but I think that is a whole different issue. Most likely they will only impact a small percentage of early users, and will be quickly patched.

I agree that it should run fine. I am using a Sempron Mobile 3400+ with 1GB of RAM as my Vista testing laptop. But then I am in IT and just want to get a head start on learning it and all it has to offer (or not offer). Drivers might be an issue though, see if Sony has Vista drivers out for everything you have in there.

Office 2003 will not work on Vista, you'll have to get Office 2007.

I think it'll run okay on the laptop, maybe not great, but enough to do basic programs.

darksparkz said:
Office 2003 will not work on Vista, you'll have to get Office 2007.

I think it'll run okay on the laptop, maybe not great, but enough to do basic programs.

Office 2003 runs just fine on vista. I dual boot xp and vista on the desktop and have office 2003 installed on it. works just fine. Even office XP works.

I don't think office 2000 does however, from what I've heard/read.

I'm running office and quicken with no problems. Just because a program doesn't say it's supported doesn't mean the OS isnt compatible. I'm not having any issues. I'm not even having any performance issues. It runs everything just fine and I actually like how it has windows defender along with Windows Mail and a few other programs mixed in. The best definition of Vista is Win XP and Mac OS X had sex and pumped out this guy :D

ToiletDuck said:
I'm running office and quicken with no problems. Just because a program doesn't say it's supported doesn't mean the OS isnt compatible. I'm not having any issues. I'm not even having any performance issues. It runs everything just fine and I actually like how it has windows defender along with Windows Mail and a few other programs mixed in. The best definition of Vista is Win XP and Mac OS X had sex and pumped out this guy :D

Yes, but it also means that it might not work. It is just something to keep in mind when considering an upgrade. If you decide to upgrade only to find that some critical application won't work means lost time and money. Sure you might get lucky and have it work fine. I have been testing a lot of different applications, many will work, some don't.

It doesn't matter if 10 applications work fine, it is that one that will kill the deal.

I been using Business N for over a month now and I haven't had much problems. Only software I wasn't able to install was Virtual PC and an old version of McAfee 8. Several programs weren't compatible with Aero like Trillian. Office XP works fine in Vista.

To answer the thread, I also ran Vista on my laptop with 512MB of ram. Works alright, but I'm going to put XP back on for now until I upgrade it to 1GB. It should run great on your 2GB.

hitokiri_808 said:
I been using Business N for over a month now and I haven't had much problems. Only software I wasn't able to install was Virtual PC and an old version of McAfee 8. Several programs weren't compatible with Aero like Trillian. Office XP works fine in Vista.

Im running Trillian and Aero is still enabled. Make sure you upgrade to the lastest version. I've been using it fro ummm 2 months without any issues.

Office 2003 works perfectly fine with Vista. Aero will get turned off sometimes when it runs but nothing horrible. There are a few programs that still don't run on Vista or crash or hang fro a while but its your smaller user based type programs that cause issues non really in the big world.

I can't wait til my work does the upgrade to Vista and Office 2007. While my computer is a Autocad/Solidworks system I don't mind having a bit of eye candy while im working. Right now im using the Vista visual pack for XP just to spice things up.

Guys there is also a free AV subscription for 1year if you're on vista. I forgot which one as I'm on my desktop. But do a google search and you'll find it.

deathman20 said:
Im running Trillian and Aero is still enabled. Make sure you upgrade to the lastest version. I've been using it fro ummm 2 months without any issues.

Trillian 3.1 Basic?

Edit: just read its QuickTime, gonna try that now.

3.1 Basic 121 build.

At least quicktime is fixed if not mistaken from my first incidents I had earlier. Man that was bad. Watch it with QT though make sure works saved before you try it on your system. I've had amany crashes from it.

Back