• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

peltier? read

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcll2002

I was thinking about going peltier because I'm just not getting the temps that I thought I would with watercooling. Using the swiftech apex ultra kit (and a gpu waterblock) I'm getting load temps (4hrs) of 43c using ceramique, 1.475v bios 2900mhz opty 165. BTW ambient temps are like 20-21c

So, I was thinking about going peltier, but I really dont want to have to mess with condensation or insulation. Is there any feasible way of doing this like getting a lower wattage pad so temps are relatively ambient?

Also, how would I add the pad onto the apogee?

Thirdly, can my PSU even handle a peltier pad using the rig in my sig?

6 fans (including chipset)
1 sata hd
OCed 7950gt
OCed opty 165
2gb ddr 500 OCed
dfi ultra d
Swiftech mp655 (i think) pump
dvd+-rw
sound card pci
tv tuner pcie x1
wireless networking pci

antec truepower 550 w
TIA

I'm not sure about your first question, if you're really all that worried, swiftech has a pre-insulated TEC block all ready, others can advise you if its worth it ( and me too, since I've got my eye on it for my next build ).

Second, you have to stick a cold plate, or just a piece of copper between the hot-side of the pelt and the waterblock. Check the Ultimate Cooling sticky here and the cold-plate calculation sticky here to get a better idea of how to attach, how thick and what kind, etc, your cold plate needs to be.

Thirdly, it would be advisable to get a secondary psu as the amount of power the pelt draws comes off the more important rail ( the +12V rail for CPUs/vid cards ) in normal ATX PSUs. If you're getting, for example, a 226W pelt, then you would need room on your 12V for the pelt, your CPU, AND your video card ( most likely ). I don't know many PSUs that could handle that load, nor would I think it would be a good idea. The large load there could put crossload on your PSU...or something....Ask around for more info about that, I am by far NOT the most knowledgeable person in that area. So I would advise getting the Meanwell S320-12 Aux PSU ( here ), or I suppose you could use another ATX type power supply if it can push enough current, but then again, others may have better advice. I'd get the Meanwell at any rate, I love new toys. :D Plus having a secondary power supply is just down-right cool, IMO.

Hope that helps, and good luck

<edit>Here is the Swiftech pre-insulated TEC thingy...</edit>

thanks for the answers. If im going to have to spend an extra $150 on an external psu, I dont really want to do it...just not worth it (also since im going to be going to s775 soon).

Other than peltier, what other solutions could you recommend to help my temps? Currently using ceramique, would as5 really benefit? Also, would lapping really help? Could I do that without removing the block from the loop (in the case)?

Anything else I could do to help? These are the same temps that iw as getting on air before, pretty much.

43 isn't too bad. Also remember that there can be large variations in temp sensors between two setups. Adding a larger radiator would be the first thing I'd suggest before using a TEC. If that doesn't suit your needs, I'd suggest using a TEC chiller before doing anything more drastic. TECs applied to a CPU tend to not be very efficient these days because of the need for a very powerful tec (your garden variety 80W will not do it ;))

other than buying new hardware, is there anything small you recommend? (would as5 or lapping really help?)

also, what is a tec chiller?

TECs are fun! There are controllers out there to have the TEC keep the CPU at ambient... even then you could get condensation due to CPU load changing faster than the controller can adjust for... you could set the controller a few C above ambient.

BUT... it will be expensive.

Post a picture of your system. There might be very simple procedures to help increase the performance of the cooling system. i.e. a fan shroud, fan direction, ect.

ill post a couple pics. Will fans even matter with watercooling anyway?

BTW, my case fans are extremely low RPM because they annoy me... Hardly any airflow but I have an 80mm fan over the PWM + Ram.

Im thinking about changing my 120mm exaust, (and intake) and 2 rad fans to yate loons. Will this help with airflow/ temps (mainly looking @ cpu temps)

keep in mind that all fans are @ a low RPM and theres not that much airflow.

i should probably try re-applying ceramique right?

killermiller said:
What are your idle temps? What happens if you increase airflow?
when my room is like 70f, i idle between 30-35c. I dont know, i have a bunch of undervolters...otherwise the fans wouldnt reach the ports.

I still dont understand how the airflow would change temps of a watercooled cpu (and gfx)

You're not getting the temps you expected because your radiator isn't getting enough airflow. The heat from the CPU is transferred to the rad, but eventually the heat from the rad has to go somewhere. That's why increasing airflow on the radiator will lower temps (probably dramatically in your case).

I'd stay away from peltiers if I were you. Even with a lot of airflow, their efficiency is no good, and the temps hardly worth the added complexity and cost.

Gautam said:
You're not getting the temps you expected because your radiator isn't getting enough airflow. The heat from the CPU is transferred to the rad, but eventually the heat from the rad has to go somewhere. That's why increasing airflow on the radiator will lower temps (probably dramatically in your case).

I'd stay away from peltiers if I were you. Even with a lot of airflow, their efficiency is no good, and the temps hardly worth the added complexity and cost.
like i said, the rad is outside the case. does that change your response?

anyway, should i just pick up these (4) 2 on rad, exaust, intake

jcll2002 said:
like i said, the rad is outside the case. does that change your response?

anyway, should i just pick up these (4) 2 on rad, exaust, intake

yea, i think he saw that its outside. and honestly its not making a diffrence. you need more airflow if your on such a low RPM. turn it up a little. i'd recommend 1000 RPM or 900 min. i have 1200 rpm fans. and i don't mind the noise.

well, if your supposedly undervolting those fans. they're barley even pushing any air. and your temps aren't too shabby btw.

(and i don't think AS5 is much better than ceramique.)

Have you tried remounting the CPU block? Sometimes a bad mount can put you up a few degree or more. In terms of lapping, unless your block looks like it need it I wouldn't worry about it and AS5 and Ceramique are close enough to the same that it shouldn't really matter.

damn, i just when I had air cooling with higher ambient temps I would have the same temps (@ 2.7ghz rather than 2.9)

Back