• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

.DAT Files?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArcticPenguin

is tehre anyway to restore the default program to access .DAT files? for someone all of them have WindowsMediaPlayer icons on them - i know fo the OpenWith option but i was wondering if there was anyway to restore that file?

thanks!

.dat is usually data for some other program, not typically something you would be looking at. I don't know that there really is a .dat, as many different applications can use them.

Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch in the registry...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | .dat

Backup the key (highlight the .dat key in the LH pane and select File --> Export, then give the file a name and save it with a *.reg extension) | In the RH pane right-click (Default) and select Delete | It should now read (Value not set), which is the XP default setting.

Back