• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

alge everywhere!(iodine doesnt work)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObiwanShinobi

So i thought I Just spotted a little bit of alge in my t line, but it turns out its everywhere. Its in my res, probably in my rad and block too. So im replacing all of the tubing and cleaning everything out. How and what can I use to clean everything with? And what can i put in my liquid to make sure no alge grows next time. Dont reccomend iodine because I used about 2 droppers full of iodine and I still got growth.

if Iodine did not work for you, try some algae control from a pet store. It's what I used

Obviously physicall scrub out whatever you can (namely your blocks) with just hot soapy dish water. For the rad, you can squirt some scrubbing bubbles into the rad and leave it in for a couple of minutes. I would then rinse and put hot dishsoapy water into it, shake it around a bit, and rinse it out really well. You shouldn't have anything in it after that. You can use a vinegar mix instead of the scrubbing bubbles, but frankly the scrubbing bubbles work a lot better for cleaning things out. I use scrubbing bubbles on my 6002 block and it gets it clean as can be inside.

Umm, how do you know it's algae?
Sure it's not just some other deposited gunk from not cleaning your parts before assembly?...some non-organic fluxes will grease the interior of your loop, and anti freeze can stain it green....had that before in one of my rigs, that's why I'm so concerned with cleaning new radiators.
*Left over flux can also actually cause corrosion over time. I got that on some copper plumbing I soldered.

White vinegar with a teaspoon of salt dissolved into it will get rid of any corrosion. Just let it soak an hour or two and flush with fresh water like crazy...you want all traces of vinegar gone before rebuilding your loop.

Last edited:
darkcow said:
that didn't make much sense...

Silver has some anti-microbial/antibiotic properties. He is saying that since Tygon Silver tubing has silver in it, it works as an inherent biocide. Same as using a silver waterblock.

Back