• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista upgrade path?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyboRob

Might be a dumb question but I am not sure.

I bought a dell in 1999 I think it was, it came with the full windows 98 disc.

I then bought an upgrade disc to Windows XP Pro in 2002.

So do I get to upgrade again to Vista or do I have to buy the full version?

Thanks
Rob

Im feeling so lost in this Vista OS, lol. I would be willing to try it but ive been reading that many programs are having trouble being compatible, or something along those lines. Also $400 for the ultimate one is a pretty steep price, just wanted to vent lol.

After trying the beta, I'll be staying with Windows XP SP2 until I absolutely have to upgrade. I still find it highly unlikely that they won't release DirectX 10 for XP, because unless they do, it won't become the standard for a long time and therefore won't take the forefront with developers.

Also, I haven't heard about any Vista upgrade options, except for those that have recently purchased the full version of XP getting a discount. MS is likely going to stick you for the full price.

shadin said:
I haven't heard about any Vista upgrade options, except for those that have recently purchased the full version of XP getting a discount. MS is likely going to stick you for the full price.

Anyone else?

You'll have to buy the upgrade verison of Vista.

To run Vista not-choppy, you'll need at least 1GB of ram. And at least 64MB of video ram to run Aero fine as well. I'd recommend staying away from it for now, there is almost no driver support for it, there aren't even many printers that'll work on it.

I got a 1 gig of ram and vista runs choppy for me. did you guys see at ces when they showed off that vista can have video backgrounds I wonder how much ram that is going to take.

I have well not sure its a full version of XP but im not 100% sure if its OEM or Retial it really doesn't say on the disk since I got it directly from MS for taking a test. I'm hoping that I can just grab the ultimate update and all will be good.

I'd say it should work with an upgrade but more answers will be answered hopefully at the time of release. I'm running vista currently but of course its a full version RTM, not your Upgrade path one so, all hopeing for the best when the time comes.

Back