• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Intel Chipset Drivers causes USB to stop working (Abit AB9 Pro)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeDVB

Registered
I installed the latest Intel Chipset drivers for my Abit AB9 Pro (Intel P965 Express Chipset) from abit-usa.com's DOWNLOADS section for the AB9 Pro.

When the Chipset drivers are installing before the reboot the [usb] mouse & keyboard stop working and then start working again as the drivers are updated. Once the installation is complete and I restart I have 5 "Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller"s and 2 "Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller"s that are working and then 7 non-working "USB Root Hub"s all which under Device status say "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing."

After the restart none of my USB ports are working and the only way to control the computer is via VNC (thank god I installed that early, even SAFE MODE doesn't work)

Is there something else I need to install, am I missing a step or an update, or is this just bugged/messed up?

Oh and I also tried again with the latest Chipset drivers from Intel.com and still the same problem.

Mike

p.s. I was not sure which section specifically to place this in, so if a mod decides that there's a better place please go ahead and move it. I don't want to make duplicate posts to make sure I'm in the right place!!!

Clearing the CMOS is not generally required after installing chipset drivers. Maybe he was thinking you should clear it after flashing a new BIOS update, which is a good idea.

Yeah I always clear cmos after bios update.

I just used VNC and uninstalled all of the USB drivers that had the !s and then restarted and it worked just fine after it reinstalled the drivers.

Mike

The same thing happened to me on my Asus P5B Deluxe/Wi Fi, so it must be an issue with the P965 chipset. Unfortunately I don't have VNC, so I had to use a PS/2 keyboard to remove all of the root hubs.

Back