• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2003 Standard R2, running Terminal Server question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
When running Windows 2003 Terminal server, the local printers on the client's computers are (or) should be redirected back to the workstation from the server so you can print when running applications located on the server through a remote desktop connection.

When the clients login, all the printers are showing up, it just fails to print. Which is what I need to get fixed.

Also I should add (and should not matter) the server is located in NY, and the clients are located in North Carolina.

It was working fine since October and stopped working on the 9th of January. Which is the strange part.

Windows 2003 Standard R2 w/sp1 on a Dell Box. Dual Xeon 1.6Ghz 2Gig of RAM.

Are there any events in the log? Or is the server not receiving the print command entirely?

Does it have a status message in the printer queue? And is the document being printed in both the local queue and on the server queue?

There must be an event log of the failure. Check the logs see if anything got recorded.

Nothing. Well no real error

The document Test Page owned by joeteck failed to print on printer HP LaserJet 4 Plus (from CARY-FRONTDESK) in session 4. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 196608. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\SGCDC. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 3. The system cannot find the path specified.

But the path is there, and is mapped by TS. So I'm very confused.

When they log off, the mapping disapears.

The document Test Page owned by joeteck failed to print on printer HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL (from CARY-FRONTDESK) in session 4. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 76060. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\SGCDC. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 3. The system cannot find the path specified.

Is there an IP associated with the printer? Can you ping it or bring its web config up?

Okay let me see if I have this right.

Clients are remoting to NY server,and cannot print to NC printer?

I assume the clients are on a static IP address? So the "network" printer will not have a location as simple as \\server\printer but should have a LONG address including an IP. I imagine for security you are using a VPN also, which may make it easier, I forget it has been so long LOL.
You may need to port forward the clients router, also check and make sure that there is not a port conflict between RDC and network printing. Not sure what the ports are myself,but I believe they are both in the 5000 range.

EDITED for missing spaces, stupid broken keyboard

Neur0mancer said:
Okay let me see if I have this right.

Clients are remoting to NY server,and cannot print to NC printer?

I assume the clients are on a static IP address? So the "network" printer will not have a location as simple as \\server\printer but should have a LONG address including an IP. I imagine for security you are using a VPN also, which may make it easier, I forget it has been so long LOL.
You may need to port forward the clients router, also check and make sure that there is not a port conflict between RDC and network printing. Not sure what the ports are myself,but I believe they are both in the 5000 range.

EDITED for missing spaces, stupid broken keyboard

No. Clients have local printers on thier workstations.

The software they need is on the terminal server.

The local printers are mapped to the terminal server once they login and then the printers redirected back for local printing from any application they run from the TS.. Which fails...

I know it sounds nuts...but it was working just a few days ago...

The really weird thing is the document actually gets to the local printer queue correct?

Since it started Jan 9th, did MS release an update that could have changed the config? Can you ping the printers when logged into the server at the console?

side note: didn't R2 replace sp1?

Just thought of another thing. Do you use Active Directory? I would check to see if a policy has been enables that doesn't allow the local resources to be used with Terminal services. Like if you go to the local resource tab and are not able to check the printer option.

Nothing has been changed..

EDIT: I setup a Windows 2003 server and installed TS. And printing worked flawlessly. I even had two people login and print to it.

I'm going to uninstall TS2003, and re-install it. I've already tested that on a test box today and Murphy was no where in site...

Something broke, it would seem that it can't be fixed with out an uninstall - reinstall.

Back