• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Method for Cutting Metal Rods for Rad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

I am getting ready to mount my radiator and have 24"-long threaded rods. I was thinking about just using a hacksaw, but I don't want to screw up the threading. Should I just align the saw with a thread and proceed slowly? Or won't it make a difference?

CreePinG_DeatH said:
I am getting ready to mount my radiator and have 24"-long threaded rods. I was thinking about just using a hacksaw, but I don't want to screw up the threading. Should I just align the saw with a thread and proceed slowly? Or won't it make a difference?

Most any method is going to fold over part of a thread at the end. You can run a nut from the uncut end and unscrew it past the cut end to fix that, though depending on the thread it may not work that well. If you have a sander or grinder, you can grind on a chamfer on that end and that will also usually fix it . Running a nut over it after doing the chamfer will help as well.

Going slow and carefully on the cut will help minimize the burrs.

Use a dremel with a reinforced cutting wheel. It makes a very clean cut.

It also helps if you put on a nut before you cut, and after it is cut unscrew it off the freshly cut en to straighten out the slightly bent (and very sharp!) thread.

Damn, maybe I should just use my nylon rods then. Hopefully I can get a few good metal ones cut though. Thank you.

i just use a normal saw i have in my garage. it seems to work perfectly.

i just have it perpendicular to the screw where i want to cut. cut it all the way through. then get a metal file and clean off the edges. works most of the time. don't need a fancy dremal.

No matter what you cut them with you still have to clean the ends. I tend to use a bandsaw or bolt cutters and then use a stone grinding bit on the drillpress to clean the cut end.

RIG RIDER said:
You only need two tools, a hacksaw and metal file.
As others have said, take your time and you will do great.

qft. its the cheapest solution. in my mind a power tools is worthless. by the time you found it. plugged the thing in. got yourself situated and ready. i would've hack sawed the darn thing off. :)

(and if you don't know, im a strong hater of battery powered tools, i hate their guts. they work perfectly for 2 months. then the battery konks out and only lasts like 4 screws. and then you gotta charge it for 2 hours. then a new expensive battery. where a cord tool is less expensive and will last 10 years easy.)

RIG RIDER said:
You only need two tools, a hacksaw and metal file.
As others have said, take your time and you will do great.

Kinda hard to hold down a rod with your hand while you're trying hack it in half with the other. "cordless power tool" is an oxymoron, none of mine use batteries tyvm. Takes me about 5 seconds to cut through a threaded rod with a dremel (perpendicular of course) holding the rod with a pair of pliers.

But I already have a dremel, while I could use a hacksaw... I prefer to use a dremel.

Maviryk said:
Kinda hard to hold down a rod with your hand while you're trying hack it in half with the other. "cordless power tool" is an oxymoron, none of mine use batteries tyvm. Takes me about 5 seconds to cut through a threaded rod with a dremel (perpendicular of course) holding the rod with a pair of pliers.

But I already have a dremel, while I could use a hacksaw... I prefer to use a dremel.

How can that be hard, you do have two hands don't you? :eek:

Are the batteries not a power source?

And I prefer power tools my self, but the only tools NEEDED are what I mentioned.

Oh, my arms are flimsy. I can't hold the rod with one hand while trying to cut with the other, the cutting stroke always catches and it makes it off square. :(

Batteries suck. I'd run a 300ft extension cord before I'd use a battery for power tools.

Nothing like the feeling of running out of juice in the middle of a project.

For threaded items under 1/4 inch. Use a hand tool/ Not electrics. For items that will take a few to saw through use electrics.

The reason small diameter items are cut with hand tools is heat and warping. Plus it is so fast, why break out the tools when a 2 minute cut is all that is needed. You can almost snap a 3/8 rod with two pliers. So why get all setup when you can do it fast and easy.

For heavier items. Do the elbow a favor and use your tools to it's most. Plug something in.

If your doing enough cuts on thin material. To justify a electric tool. Go for it. No sence in wasting time going back and forth sawing.

If your hacksaw is catching. Do a few more guide backstrokes. Usually it catching is a sure sign of misaligned cutting. A true cut will just cut..
So just look and make sure the cut stroke is the push stroke. Then just pull it back a few more times to get it aligned correctly. It still kinda cuts. Not like a cut stoke though.

For anything under an inch, it only adds like 10 seconds and works better in most cases then high speed unguided power tools. Unless your skilled in the use of hand tools. Or have a guide to make a true cut.

I been using hand/power tools since the early 80's. I found clamps are your friend too. Stable work is good work.

Last edited:
Enablingwolf said:
I been using hand/power tools since the early 80's. I found clamps are your friend too. Stable work is good work.
Now THAT's good advise - a clamp or, better yet, a vice is your friend. :) Just be sure to use wood blocks and be very, very careful not to crush the threads.

(and if you don't know, im a strong hater of battery powered tools, i hate their guts. they work perfectly for 2 months. then the battery konks out and only lasts like 4 screws. and then you gotta charge it for 2 hours. then a new expensive battery. where a cord tool is less expensive and will last 10 years easy.)
"cordless power tool" is an oxymoron, none of mine use batteries tyvm.
Batteries suck. I'd run a 300ft extension cord before I'd use a battery for power tools.

Nothing like the feeling of running out of juice in the middle of a project.
Ah, the folly of youth ... ;)

Last edited:
yea, i would never ever EVER freaking dare "clamping" a screw with my HANDS?! are you guys insane. that is so dangerous its not even funny. what if your hand slips?? where do you think that dremel is going to go??? right into your balls..

always, and i mean ALWAYS clamp it into a sturdy device thats connected to the floor, not you. like a kitchen table, or your counter top, or better yet, a vice. just get a cheap C clamp or get one of those fancy German clamps. or even a simple spring clamp. don't use pliers, if might work one day, but sooner or later your just going to get tired with your other hand and slip away, right into your body.

this is not a "helpful" piece of advice that you should just 'keep' in mind. this is something you should take care of right now.

its worser than doing a suicide run with out your heatsink on.... boom.

When I cut threaded rod I have a die for cutting threads so I thread that on the end before I take bolt cutters or a dremel to it. Then I thread off the die and it cuts fresh threads, leaving you with a perfect end.

What size die do you have? My rods are 6-32. I am just starting to look at McMaster. I never knew these exists. Thanks!

if it is 6-32 then get a 6-32 die. You can pick them at at pretty much any hardware store I think, I inherited mine from my great-grandfather so I can't be positive.

I've used a hacksaw before and also a dremel. I prefer the dremel, much quicker and easier.

I use a pair of these to cut my threaded rod. 7007K92 Wire Stripper/Crimper/Bolt Cutter Strips 26-10 Awg Stranded & 22-8 Awg Solid Wire. (McMaster.com)

They take a bit of force to push through thicker rod but when you take the rod out it re-threads it perfectly. :santa: great multipurpose tool!!

Back