• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista processes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

How many processses are you guys running with Vista? I don't have many programs installed. I just installed, updated the drivers on the laptop, installed java, antivirus and that's about it. I'm sitting at 50 processes. I guess this is the new wave of operating systems? I'm going to see if I can go slim it down. I know 50 sounds like a lot. I have 2gb of memory though. I do like how vista gives your comp a performance rating. I only use my laptop for work so even with 50 processes running I'm not seeing any decrease in speed.

Might not totally blame it on Vista. A lot of those processes are probably things for the laptops drivers, etc. My laptop sits at 51 processes right now. The only things I have open are Firefox and uTorrent. (There's like 4 programs that run on start, including the A/V ...but the rest is drivers and other crap like that)

A fresh install of vista ( the first beta anyways) Had 20 process's for me running. Thats before I dug up some drivers, then it went up to around 30. But yeah..

I'm at 53 atm. I got several programs open and just installed some stuff. I'll reboot in a moment and post back.

Edit: 45 processes not counting Firefox.

Last edited:
My desktop is running 57 processes with a standard RC2 install with Aero & that widgets thing on my P4 3.2C rig. It's using 880Mb of 2Gb of ram while idling. Aftermarket software I've installed is DVArchive (ReplayTV emulator), java 1.6, AVG, and folding@home.

Just like XP, I'm sure it can be lightened up a good bit. It will just be a matter of figuring out what's needed & what's fluff. Then disabling the fluff.

I sit at 750megs at boot but forgot how many processes I have. I think its around 52-56 though with Aero and all running, RTM version.

Back