• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acronis not quite ready for P5B's (965's actually)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fritzman

As at last week anyways, I found out the hard way that neither Acronis 9 nor 10 work with the 965 chipsets yet.

I tried Acronis True Image Workstation 9.1 out on my P5W-DH (975) board and all was fine. I thought that seeing I was running a 3 x drive matrix array (doin the 'Bing thing' with a small C & balance D Raid5), I would migrate to a 4 x drive array and so decided to change to a P5B-Deluxe board in the process.

Still on the 975 board, I installed Acronis. From the boot CD it created, I could see the C drive but not the D. From in Windows though, I could see both, and could easily rebuild either from created images stored on an ATA drive.

I thought the simplest solution would be to replace the 975 board with the 965, do a clean XP install and then install Acronis and while in Windows, rebuild the D drive completely from the image... that's when I started to panic. Having done everything thoroughly, and now running the 4 x drive array (Raid0/Raid10) and on a clean XP install, Acronis kept telling me both the C & D images on the ATA drive were corrupted.

After much thinking, PM's and e-mails to Acronis, I was told that the problem may not be with the image, but with the fact that Acronis True Image doesn't yet support 965 chipsets.

The happy ending is that I got around the problem the long way, by putting the storage ATA drive back onto the 975 chipset machine (having rebuilt it for another application) and gradually brought over 400Gb of data back to the 965 machine across the (thankfully gigabit) lan. What a job!

I was sweating for a few days there when I kept getting a message saying the image was corrupted. Over 400Gb of personal data, client data, etc., etc. But... it is all sweet now... I just have to wait for Acronis to sort their act out, and then buy a new version.

Thankfully, lessons learnt and all now sorted. Hopefully this might save someone else the stress.

Agreed... BTW - what free app's are there that can handle the matrix correctly?

Glad you made it safely ! Can imagine that stressing & exciting moment that ended up with a big exhale of relieve ! :)

BartPE + Intel Matrix Driver "embedded + DriveXML !

@MoD -> IMHO, its better to move this thread to "Storage" section since it will get a bigger audience for sharing up your precious experience.

Last edited:
fritzman said:
Agreed... BTW - what free app's are there that can handle the matrix correctly?

Exactly what bing said, Bart PE + Drive Image XML. I made Bart PE disk and it can handle both ICH7R and ICH8R by integrating the ICH8R drivers.

BTW, I learned about these from bing's infamous "Enter The Matrix" thread. Thanks again bing! :beer:

Back