• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Cold-Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freddie

Whenever I turn on my computer (which has an ASUS P5B) I find it powers up for a few seconds (maybe 1-1.5), all of the drives spin up etc and then it cuts out for 2-3 seconds before booting up.

Once booted the system is fine, perfectly stable and posts. I first noticed it when I increased the overclock on my E6600 to 290Mhz, however, I have now taken it back down to stock and it still happens. It does not happen when re-booting.

I have taken out all of the wires and put them back in again, but to no avail. My PSU is a modstream 520 and I have quite a modest set-up (7600GT, 2 hard disk drives and 2 cd-drives).

Does anyone know why this could be happening and what I could do about it?

Regards, Freddie.

That particular senario happens to me 100% of the time when I change clock speeds or something crucial in BIOS. Are you saying it does this even when you haven't made any changes in BIOS at all?

That's good, as while it is no big problem (I turn my computer on what, once a day and it only costs me 10 seconds of time). I am also not on the newest BIOS (and have no flash drive).

I thought that it may have been some kind of indication that something was wrong somewhere.

Are you saying it does this even when you haven't made any changes in BIOS at all?
No, it appears that when my system is not overclocked it does not do this (however, one must do at-least one cold boot after changing the settings back to the defaults before it goes away).

The dual boot appears when you oc smth, though it might happen when you do some crucial changes. Many say that its a power necessity. I didn't o further cause I have high temps, but I think that it might be also a FSB strap.

Back