• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game Design Software ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

halo_2_rocks

I am in the club at school called TSA or technology student association but anyways one of the things we can make or design is a video game and i was wondering what kind of software i would need to design a video game. It has to be e-rated:beer: so if u guys know of any such software please let me know

Design? You don't need software for that.

Now, to actually MAKE a game, you'll need some (a lot, actually) programming skills and a good development environment. Something like Microsoft's Visual C++ or Visual BASIC or Borland's C++. We're talking MAJOR $$$$, although they may have student discounts.

I don't want to discourage you, but game programming is a very difficult field. You'll need top-notch math skills and programming skills. I am in the process of making a (shareware) game and it is no easy proposition. This is very draining mentally, as I am the sole programmer. I have 21 years experience and know five different computer languages spanning two computer platforms.

NOTHING! Beats Microsoft's XNA and a load of DirectX SDK kits... you can make something as complex as the Source engine from vALVE in a month.(okay not that complex... but visually you could)

And it's all free. :bday:

If you are interested in the programming route (using something like Game Maker is a waste of time), Microsoft publishes a lot of their development tools for free now (for personal use; they are called Express Editions). See http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

If you are interested in making a game, I would suggest C++. The Microsoft dev environment for this is Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. You will probably also be interested in the DirectX SDK (Software Development Kit)

ok thanks i think though the very first thing u suggested might work well for me because all of this programing so is totally new to me so i am a complete noob as far as programing is concerned

To make a video game you have to use a API such as win32, directx, opengl, or perhaps SDL. I like combination of SDL and opengl alot. You can use C++ but you can also use other languages with some of these.

win32- this is microsofts older library that allows you to make windows applications that have windows.

Direct-x allows you to access the systems input, sound, and video hardware with a very high level abstract programming language

Open GL and SDL basically compete with direct-x.

Typically you use a programming language to write an application that will communicate with these other software components.

Last year I wrote a small 3d engine for fun with c++, opengl, and SDL. You could run around in a small 3d world, it had some physics, you could also shoot a gun. I also made a 2d-game that was much more complete than the 3d game. I quit working on the 3d-game because it was more of a learning experiment and I was busy with school.

Last edited:
Back