• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W-DH on air, overclocking advice sought

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oxalic32

Well i've been running stock for sometime. I think im ready to finally play with some settings. I overclocked on socket 754 AMD setup a long time ago. I think alot has changed from there to the core 2 duo i have now.

I have the e6600, a good powersuppply, 2 gigs of G.Skill (D9-Micron). It's running at 4-4-4-12 now i beleive.

As usual, just start in small steps and see if it will post and then try a stress test to see if its stable. Monitor your temps with a tool like TAT, thats what I use and seems to be the most accurate for c2d's.

Ive got the same CPU as you, and similar crucial ram that uses the D9 chips, I got my cpu to 3.6GHZ on stock.

Make sure you have cooling covered. Its possible to OC to a certain point using the stock hsf but not recommended. It would be a lot safer if you beefed up your cooling whether you go air or water, etc... Run memtest to check your stability once you start upping the fsb and changing timings or you could end up corrupting your OS.

andyl33t said:
Ive got the same CPU as you, and similar crucial ram that uses the D9 chips, I got my cpu to 3.6GHZ on stock.
I could boot that on stock... But it wasnt what i would call stable... Not so much from voltage or clock... but because the stock cooler couldnt keep up with the heat.

As soon as the temps were over 65 i normaly saw the PC lock up and restart itself within seconds of seeing that temp in TAT.

The dual fan'd ultra 120 though makes all that easy at 51c load. So its all good. At least with the proc anyway.

It always a good idea to invest in a after market CPU cooler at any time you plan on OC'ing. If you dont want to do that, other best thing you can do, is invest in good case fans.

Got a heatsink to recommend for air cooling? I hear alot about the Tuniq tower.

looks like we got same cpu and ram and mobo.

what stepping is your cpu? I would imagine 334x9 1:1 on all stock volts would be where I start.
Kill speedstep and open up core temp see what the cpu vid comes up as, whatever it comes up as set the vcore to that value in the bios.
Run orthos 8 hours at least.
Then go up 100mhz at a time on cpu by increasing fsb then 8 hours orthos every time, you'll need a new cooler, i'd grab a tuniq tower.

Do i need to buy something to use the tuniq tower with my core 2 duo? Not sure if it supports LGA775 out of the box.

yes it does, comes with a "X" bracket for the back of the mobo and 4 thumbscrews that go thru the "H" bracket on top, simply the best mount on any cooler.

Hm, now you're talking. First of all, disable Hyperpath 3, and flash up to the latest BIOS. I'd try going for 400x9, on the 4:5 divider if your RAM is able to work with it.

Can you not use the AI overclocking Software that came with this MB?

it takes care of voltage and all if you use the performance mode and go from 0% over to 5% to 10% etc etc etc:)

3Ghz

View attachment SCREEN2_BW.BMPI have managed to get to 3 Ghz at lunch time!! groovy see my attachement which shows the AI overclocker interface for the ASUS p5W DH

you should give it a go

Anyone spot anything odd that I should know about on the values shown?
I was running a 100% workload on both cores as shown on the TAT

Should my memory voltage not be higher than 1.8 Volts?

Back