• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any reason to pay $100 more for XP retail over OEM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

Just curious. I read a FAQ that says OEM is just the disc without manuals or support but is otherwise identical to retail. Is that right? I don't need $100 instruction manuals or phone support. Should I just get OEM?

An OEM copy is tied to your motherboard and other parts. If you cange out a part you might need to reactivate.

yeah, technically, it is supposed to be tied to that specific computer, so you are not supposed to install it on a replacement computer. A retail copy can be installed wherever you like, so long as it's one PC at a time (or whatever the license calls for).

Another thing about retail versions is the tech support you can get from MS. But who uses tech support? :)

This is for a computer I'm putting togrther for someone else who bought her last pc 5 years ago and probably won't need another one for quite some time. Even if she does get a new one, how hard could it be to reactivate? And I agree, tech support is useless when you have the internet(&OCforums;) ). Thanks for the help.

Well activation has a time out. So chances are if you activate on PC1 today, and then build a new one 5 years from now and try to activate I doubt you would have problems.

If you did, you just need to call MS. Tell them you are installing on new hardware due to a total failure of the previous PC. They will ask if that PC has been destoryed (basically you no longer are using the license on that PC), you say "yes". They give you a code to put in, and you are done.

Of course if the next PC won't be for 5 years or more then XP will likely no longer be used anyway, so it is a moot point. OEM is the way to go. The biggest difference is no tech support. Even with retail I think you only get limited free tech support anyway.

I'm running the serial from my Toshiba laptop (OEM version) on my desktop right now. They haven't given me any trouble in trying to re-activate. I don't even think they ask what I'm doing.

How long is this time-out?

Is it hard to get through to MS?

I think it's around 6 months.
Quite simple - when it asks you to active do so over the phone. Call the number then press random keys until it says something along the lines of "It seems you're having some trouble - let me transfer you to one of our operators" then give them the details.

The whole process will take about 5 minutes. (As quoted when you call microsoft =P)

Doh! Just realised this was a necro'd thread too!

How Long Is Windows Retail Support? Is It Only By Phone?

I don't need $100...phone support.
If I'm not mistaken, phone support is only for 90 days anyway. Is that right?

Is there any other kind of support offered with the Retail version that is not included with the OEM?

Last edited:
Back