• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VISTA- Microsofts secret weapon to destroy the PC!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It was just a joke, if it is not taken well I appologize.

But to me its only funny because there is a certain amount of truth behind it. Microsoft keeps redefining what an operating system should be. Some people say an OS is a software interface that is used to control your hardware. They've added in so much bloat in vista and then made it a requirement in order to get hardware support for the newest video games. What if microsoft is making its moves in such a way that it prevents the PC from performing to its potential.

What if microsoft doesn't want the PC to succeed in the gaming market? Thats the point of the thread.

If you take into consideration the Xbox360, it has a graphics chip in it from ATI that outperforms any current ATI graphics card. It would be difficult for anybody to convince me that bringing these technologies to the PC is not economically possible.

So I was thinking about this and I realized, maybe Vista is all part of this plan to walk all over the PC with proprietary devices? Microsoft has said they envisioned a future without the PC in the past.

I hope I have made the point of this thread at least a little clearer now.

Last edited:
brakezone said:
It was just a joke, if it is not taken well I appologize.

But to me its only funny because there is a certain amount of truth behind it. Microsoft keeps redefining what an operating system should be. Some people say an OS is a software interface that is used to control your hardware. They've added in so much bloat in vista and then made it a requirement in order to get hardware support for the newest video games. What if microsoft is making its moves in such a way that it prevents the PC from performing to its potential.

What if microsoft doesn't want the PC to succeed in the gaming market? Thats the point of the thread.

If you take into consideration the Xbox360, it has a graphics chip in it from ATI that outperforms any current ATI graphics card. It would be difficult for anybody to convince me that bringing these technologies to the PC is not economically possible.

So I was thinking about this and I realized, maybe Vista is all part of this plan to walk all over the PC with proprietary devices? Microsoft has said they envisioned a future without the PC in the past.

I hope I have made the point of this thread at least a little clearer now.

Their bread and butter is their windows operating system and PC software, why would they be in some secret campaign to get rid of the PC?

It is far more logical that they are in fact embracing PC gaming, this was the reason for DirectX 10 (which is what causes you to buy Vista and a DX10 vid card if you want to play DX10 games)

And yeah, it sucks for some people that don't like change or cannot afford change, but it's a necessary step of progression. They got rid of their old API and replaced it with one that is much more efficient.

Yeah, their OS's are bloated and stuff, but that's not becuase they are trying to end the PC, they just don't have the view that some of us have as to what an OS should be.

Well, I am not really trying to create an argument that suggests that they want to destroy the PC.

But it is silly that you could even look at it in that light. I guess that the corporation is so huge that project management leaves much to be desired.

But if it were thier goal to destroy the PC, they would still be a major software provider for hardware. It could make it even easier to destroy competition like linux.

I don't think they want to get rid of PCs, they just want to make more and more and more and more money. Vista gives a pretty interface to those who know nothing about computers. So what if they buy the upgrade, find it doesn't work, and then buy a new PC (and an additional Windows license)? For business they offer better security (and well realistily business needs to keep up with the lifecycle of software anyway so it doesn't matter if they agree with it or not).

They only want to make themselves more money, period. A new OS every few years does just that.

Actually, I know you guys are talking more sense than I am. Also, I can understand that my original post was lacking in detail of what I meant.

The technology industry is constantly changing. Often we wonder if the PC will be around in 10 years the same way it is today. People like us want to take part in the design of our own systems and enjoy being able to make our own decisions concerning the composition of our hardware and software. While I certainly do not think microsoft wants to destroy the PC, I think that they want the future to come sooner.

In the long run , will the PC still be king or will small all purpose devices replace all but a few expensive machines?

I suppose that the additional overhead of vista will soon be negligable as hardware improves itself.

I like the bloat in Vista, my rig can handle it no problem. I loose a few FPS in a game, who cares, I never needed 100+ FPS in a game anyways.

People said the same thing about XP when it came out... a resource hog, too much bloat, blah blah blah. Would you really want to be running a version of Windows 98FSE (Fifty Sixth Edition) with your Conroe that does 4GHz? You got the power, stop being a stingey hermit and use it. You want FPS, got to win2k.

The PC will be around for a long time... just with more power and capacity. Will it be the same as today, proably not, but it will still be a PC, with parts. Might be smaller, might be diffrent technology, phase change cooling might be the norm on a Dell PC, but it will still be a PC.

Windows will still be around, ol Bill has already said there will definatly be another full version of 'do-all' Windows in 2-4 years, after that it will proably be seperate componets (get basic Windows, then add IIS or WMC or the Office suite).

You might see PCs controling the whole house, a appliance in the basement next to the hot water heater and you connect to it with terminals. I mean, what the heck will you do with a 8GHz system with say... 24 cores, 8GB of DDR5, and say 28TB of storage?

World over; computer wins.

well I would actually prefer if windows vista would have an updated kernel and updated components but a much slimmer footprint in memory as opposed to running so many services and components that may not even be necessary; however, this is not really much different than in any other version of windows, it is just much more exacerbated.

On the other hand, in the linux world you can install only the software components you need, you can configure your kernel to be exact to your hardware, you can run a extremely slim window manager. The difference in performance is pleasantly surprising. Yes windows can be tweaked, i've had xp with so many services off that i probably had less than 10 processes running. Windows sure is nice for things like domain controllers and for office systems, but for my computer???? So now you have this sweet new 3d programming API that is going to support a new generation of hardware and in order to get it you have to just take the good with the bad.

Oroka Sempai said:
People said the same thing about XP when it came out... a resource hog, too much bloat, blah blah blah.

Indeed. People complained so much about how XP consumed way too many resources. People just don't realize, Vista is a resource hog because it just came out. OEM Manufacturers as well as Hardware Manufacturers are going to continue making faster things and are going to be making them designed for Vista. Just like the Built for XP logo (or whatever it is), there will eventually be one for Vista. Take DX10 for instance, it's designed for Vista and is supposed to have a dramatic increase in performance for DX10 native games. People just have to stop whining and GIVE IT TIME.

brakezone said:
well I would actually prefer if windows vista would have an updated kernel and updated components but a much slimmer footprint in memory as opposed to running so many services and components that may not even be necessary; however, this is not really much different than in any other version of windows, it is just much more exacerbated.

On the other hand, in the linux world you can install only the software components you need, you can configure your kernel to be exact to your hardware, you can run a extremely slim window manager. The difference in performance is pleasantly surprising. Yes windows can be tweaked, i've had xp with so many services off that i probably had less than 10 processes running. Windows sure is nice for things like domain controllers and for office systems, but for my computer???? So now you have this sweet new 3d programming API that is going to support a new generation of hardware and in order to get it you have to just take the good with the bad.

Quoted for truth!

From what I have read many DX10 games have a much lower cpu requierment then dx9 games.

The devs from hellgates said the game will run fine on a 6 year old PC(with a dx10 video card of course).

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=495575

Now I am making a big jump here but both games are still being worked on and haven't been optmized, but to me it seems dx10 maybe a good thing. If it infact played part in both games need less resources.

Now both games could be just coded amazingly and dx10 have nothing to do with it.

FeuerFrei said:
Is there some kind of nLite for Vista yet? That would trim some of the fat

At least install fat for sure theres over 11k drivers!

I've played around with turning off services and such and have seen very little hit to the actual memory usage with things I didn't need so far. But that was in RC2, im running RTM currently waiting for my actual copy at the end of the month instead of using works version.

jivetrky said:
Their bread and butter is their windows operating system and PC software, why would they be in some secret campaign to get rid of the PC?

It is far more logical that they are in fact embracing PC gaming, this was the reason for DirectX 10 (which is what causes you to buy Vista and a DX10 vid card if you want to play DX10 games)

And yeah, it sucks for some people that don't like change or cannot afford change, but it's a necessary step of progression. They got rid of their old API and replaced it with one that is much more efficient.

Yeah, their OS's are bloated and stuff, but that's not becuase they are trying to end the PC, they just don't have the view that some of us have as to what an OS should be.

I heard that Vista deosn't play games well at all & for $400 for home, it **** well better play games great. Why not just get a PS3 for $600? I understand wanting money for a commercial OS, but crap $400 for Vista Home!!! Window ME is still $100 in stores. :mad: :mad:

Edward78 said:
I heard that Vista deosn't play games well at all & for $400 for home, it **** well better play games great. Why not just get a PS3 for $600? I understand wanting money for a commercial OS, but crap $400 for Vista Home!!! Window ME is still $100 in stores. :mad: :mad:

Um home is like $200 for the full retial version if not mistaken. Ultimate is $400 retail. Upgrades are cheaper.

And Vista plays games perfectly fine bearly notice the hit if any. If you looking at reviews, make sure there using the latest beta at a min (RC2) if not the RTM and definatly the latest drivers that makes a huge inpact on the credibility of the review.

Back