• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having trouble overclocking need advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeDVB

Registered
Hey guys!

My computer is in my sig, check it out there so I don't have to retype it.

Anyhow I lowered my multi to 6x and tried raising the FSB to 400 with the memory at 1:1 and I cannot get the computer to boot up. I'd assume the memory can do it because it's 800mhz DDR2, running at 408mhz at 2:3 at stock FSB.

I'm 99% sure the processor can handle it, I tried upping the voltage a bit on the CPU and it made no difference - it almost feels as though the motherboard itself can't do 400fsb??? I get some "Award BiosBlock" when I try to boot it up 6x multi 2400mhz processor 400mhz FSB (ram at DDR800). And then it gives me a "Bios Checksum Error" and I have to clear cmos to get it to boot up.

Other than saying that for some reason the memory's crap I cannot figure out what to do to see if it's the processor, the memory, or something else.

Any advice is welcome!

Mike

Last edited:
Yes that's the ram, OCZ.

I did a lot of testing to see what I could get to boot and not and I got several higher FSBs to boot up to 400mhz (where I stopped for testing ram)

Here are my results... I think my ram IS going to hold me back but I'd like your guys' inputs before I make any decisions. I have about 15 more days to Return this ram and I have up to $350ish to spend on HIGH QUALITY ram if need be (1000mhz ram for example)

400mhz FSB
2.2v Ram
1.25v MCH
1.5v ICHIO
WOULD NOT POST! (2.2v Ram will not post at 400, 2.3v Ram will)

400mhz FSB
2.3v Ram
1.25v MCH
1.5v ICHIO
I could get this to boot but when I got into memtest I got a lot of errors before even leaving Test 1.

400mhz FSB
2.3v Ram
1.30v MCH
1.55v ICHIO
I got to test 3 before errors but then they came flooding in.

395mhz FSB
2.3v Ram
1.25v MCH
1.5 ICHIO
I could get this to boot and memtest got 16 errors in Test 4 (made 1~3 no problems)

I don't really want to go any higher than 2.3v on the Ram and I tried bumping MCH, ICHIO and even the processor up and booting and none of it helped me pass memtest. I did try 2.4v on all of the above mentioned setups and it didn't help me pass memtest. I *think* my memory is holding me back - I can get the computer to post at higher than 400mhz but I cannot get it to pass memtest. If you have any advice on what I can try to get Memtest to pass at 400mhz then shoot it over.

Otherwise if you think my Memory is crap let me know and let me know what you suggest I get to get 450~500fsb (450x8 = 3.6ghz 900mhz ram) etc. I was thinking about going ahead and getting some Crucial Ballistix 1000mhz Ram (which I am pretty sure would eliminate my memory overclocking problems)

I'm looking at:
(2x1gig Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800mhz) 4-4-4-12 Timing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146565
(2x1gig Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1000mhz) 5-5-5-15 Timing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146563

Mike

Last edited:
That Crucial 6400 is the stuff I ordered the other day.
Ya, that OCZ gold isn't the best oc'n stuff out there. As far as I can tell, the IC's on that is Aeneon.. The Micron's on the Crucials will eat that for lunch.
ZipZoomFly had that Crucial on sale with a rebate.
I'm not familiar with that mobo so could you enlighten me? What is that ICHIO? Is that the vcore voltage?
What timings on the ram?
Did you try putting the fsb to 401 or 402.
So you did run Memtest? http://www.memtest86.com/

That Crucial 6400 is the stuff I ordered the other day.
Ya, that OCZ gold isn't the best oc'n stuff out there. As far as I can tell, the IC's on that is Aeneon.. The Micron's on the Crucials will eat that for lunch.
ZipZoomFly had that Crucial on sale with a rebate.
I'll have to check, but I'm ordering a pair right now either way. 15% restocking fee at NewEgg... I'll eat it.

I'm not familiar with that mobo so could you enlighten me? What is that ICHIO? Is that the vcore voltage?
Honestly not sure, just was suggested by a friend to try bumping it up to see if it helped.

What timings on the ram?
5-5-5-15 (by SPD)

Did you try putting the fsb to 401 or 402.
I didn't bother since ... well I believe the ram can't handle it - although nobody has backed this up (i'm still not sure if it is bad or if there is something else for me to try)

So you did run Memtest? http://www.memtest86.com/
Yes I ran memtest, hence me saying what test it made it to and how/when it failed.

I'm going to go ahead and order those Ballistix from ZipZoomFly =) Thanks for the information on the $40 rebate - saved me a good amount of cash!

Mike

Last edited:
What bios functions such as speedstep and vertualization (VTS) did you disable?

Well with the rebate the Crucial are only $10 more and I should have them by Tuesday so it's not too big a deal. At least I *know* they should do what I want them to do.

I'm going to hold off on this overclocking until Tuesday when I get my new cooler & ram and do some more reading.

Mike

Back