• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Push, Pull,/ Up, or Down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joker54

Registered
Need some help here,...nothing drastic, just a couple questions...got my new Black Ice GTstealth 360, 2 pass rad, and 3 nidec 120x38 fans pushing 110 cfm. Using thermal management card for fan speed control. My first question is,... do i mount the fans to push the air thru, or to pull??? And....Rad barbs on top, or bottom?? Or does it really make a difference? I have alot of case space, a lian li PC 343b, so space is no problem. And the speed of those fans can be dropped 35-40%. Just not sure which will cool the rad better, push, or pull.:confused:

For the fans, it will hardly matter. It's been tested many times before and each config. comes within a ~2° difference.

Rad. positioning is based on what fits in your case best. It won't affect temp.

I've read that the fans pulling air through the rad is better than pushing air through the rad, but like knacko said it isn't by much. As for the rad positioning, having the rad upright is going to be better for bleeding air bubbles out of the loop. I personally have my rad on its side outside of the case, and it takes a little shaking/tilting of the rad to get some of the air out. Go with the config that is easiest for you to route tubing and position inside the case.

I'm no so sure what you mean to do with the hammer. By correct size I meant correct length. You have to make sure that the tubing won't kink in the case as well.
It's probably best, although more work, to mount everything inside while dry, then remove it to fill and bleed outside the case. That way you know for sure it will work.

I've found rad position makes no difference. My second loop had a top mount rad with the in/out pointing down. When the loop bled out in ~1 hour I thought for sure there would be bubbles in the rad so I got a helper to hold the T-line while I turned the case over. I shouldn't have wasted my time - even turning the case over and moving it around there were no trapped air pockets ...

Back