• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Bootup Screen takes 12 passes to start up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amoroso

Windows taking Bootup Screen takes 12 passes to start up

How can this be? Ive reinstalled windows... and at the boot screen where that blue thing scrolls... it takes 12 passes. Before it used to take 3-5 passes. Overall the computer doesnt feel as perky as it ussually does with a freshly installed Windows.

Any suggestions to find out whats up with this?

Last edited:
I use to fight this too. Finally figured out if I disable the prefetch it fixed the problem and windows would still boot up fast even on very old installs. Give registry tweak a try.

1. run "regedit";
2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher];
3. Set the value to 0
4. reboot.

If you ask me....that stupid prefetch is like a built in virus. Always bogging down the system and makes so bootup is never predictable. It does more harm then good so I just disable it.

Interesting. I did that and it went through the boot screen in not even a pass. However loading up took awhile. Thought it was too good to be true. Anyways... Im thinking its the programs that Ive been installing. Its a fresh install. I dont know if I should do another install or if that would just be wasting my time.

Like redrumy3 suggested, it's definitely not a good idea to clean out the prefetch folder or to disable prefetching. To decrease your startup time, decrease the number of third-party programs/processes that start with Windows. This KB article may be of some help to you...

How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560 ...or this one:

Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041/

If you're using any Norton or McAfee antivirus/security products, replace them with a better, less-bloated and invasive AV like Kaspersky, NOD32, F-Prot, or even AVG or Avast.

Can someone please tell me what it is the prefetch does? I see performance increase when prefetch is disabled. Boots up faster, shuts down quicker....haven't noticed all my other programs opening or running any slower. So what is the prefetch actually doing besides give unpredictable(and longer) boot times? On my system I disable prefetch, and then run tunexp to put my boot files at the front of the disc. Been doing it for awhile now and it seems to be working fantastic.

Amoroso said:
Windows taking Bootup Screen takes 12 passes to start up

How can this be? Ive reinstalled windows... and at the boot screen where that blue thing scrolls... it takes 12 passes. Before it used to take 3-5 passes. Overall the computer doesnt feel as perky as it ussually does with a freshly installed Windows.

Any suggestions to find out whats up with this?

Try running bootvis. It usualy takes care of problems like this.

I wouldn't recommend using Bootvis to try and optimize your bootup performance. It's no longer supported by MS, and is no longer available for download from their site. The following quote is taken from the MS article I've linked to below...
"Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system."
BootVis.exe Tool for System Manufacturers
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/bootvis.mspx ... also the optimizations that Bootvis makes to your system are irreversible, in that they can't be undone.

You might want to instead try generating a boot log for troubleshooting purposes...Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK | Under the "Boot.ini" tab of the System Configuration Utility, put a check next to /BOOTLOG and click OK | On next reboot a file called Ntbtlog.txt will be created in the Windows directory. The log file may be able to help lead you in a direction in which to look regarding your slow boot problems. This is only used for troubleshooting, as the generated log file will keep increasing in size after each subsequent reboot...so make sure to uncheck the /BOOTLOG option after you determine you don't need to continue logging.

In addition to the links I listed in my previous post...

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;316434

Threads like this are why I keep coming to this forum: I had a question and I got a bunch of answers, all well articulated, and with links for further reading.

redduc900 said:
I wouldn't recommend using Bootvis to try and optimize your bootup performance. It's no longer supported by MS, and is no longer available for download from their site. The following quote is taken from the MS article I've linked to below...

BootVis.exe Tool for System Manufacturers
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/bootvis.mspx ... also the optimizations that Bootvis makes to your system are irreversible, in that they can't be undone.

You might want to instead try generating a boot log for troubleshooting purposes...Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK | Under the "Boot.ini" tab of the System Configuration Utility, put a check next to /BOOTLOG and click OK | On next reboot a file called Ntbtlog.txt will be created in the Windows directory. The log file may be able to help lead you in a direction in which to look regarding your slow boot problems. This is only used for troubleshooting, as the generated log file will keep increasing in size after each subsequent reboot...so make sure to uncheck the /BOOTLOG option after you determine you don't need to continue logging.

In addition to the links I listed in my previous post...

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;316434

That may be the case [I never heard?], but bootvis does its job well. I've never seen it make boot time worse, so I will continue using it.

Back