• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

svchost.exe error, i'm about to kill my computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mobious

I don't know why, how, or when, but all of a sudden now my computer: won't start windows properly (first try will get past the windows "loading" screen then just hang on a black screen for eternity) and I have to go in through the "use last settings that actually worked" option, if I do get it to start up I get an error message about 120 seconds in that says: "svchost.exe - Application Error, The instruction at "0x745f2780" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program, Click on CANCEL to debug the program." It won't debug (why am I not surprised) and after I hit ok or cancel, all of a sudden I can't do ANYTHING: explorer won't open, .exe's won't open, I can't shut down b/c explorer just hangs there, it's just FUBAR. Norton Antivirus found nothing, BitDefender found a trojan but deleted it (it was in my temp internet folder, which I just cleaned out along with my system temp folder). I have no idea what this thing is or how I got it but I REALLY don't want to reformat again, and if I have to I would at least like to be able to use some apps to burn off my stuff and move it over to my other HDDs :mad: Help is much appreciated.

-Mobious-

Without knowing anything about your system, I think the first thing I'd suggest trying would be to run Memtest86+ if you haven't already (bare minimum of looping Test #5 and Test #8 for at least 10 passes.)

i had the exact some problem 2 weeks ago but instead i deleted to good svchost.exe instead of the virus. you have to be aware that this starts up the PC. and thing you find in the win32, DONT DELETE or TOUCH IT. my best bet is install windows and if that doesnt work, you might have to format the Drive.

Back