• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing a Seagate 7200.10 Sata II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kumakichi

Registered
I've started putting together my system and I have a question about my Sata drive. I picked up a Seagate 7200.10 Sata II 320g. This is my first Sata drive and I'm not exactly sure how to do the install.

I have Windows XP SP2. I've read that I don't need to press F6 during my install for my Sata drivers. Is that true?

If not then where should I go to download the latest Sata drivers? I can't find them on Asus website and Seagate didn't have them either. So I'm not sure where to find them.

And lastly I'd just like to install this hard drive non-raid for now. Should I choose Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH8R) for my install?

you only need to use the F6 method if you need to install RAID drivers, not SATA drivers... windows should read the HDD fine, you will know when you try to install windows, if it cant find the harddrive then you might need some drivers. BUT, it should just work without any

Thanks!! :santa:

Would there be any benefit for installing the ACHI driver for NCQ? Or no?

I did some diggin and answered my own question. I'm going to try to install the NCQ driver and see what happens.

Thanks again for the welcome to the forums. :beer:

If the Seagate has a jumper on it, remove it to enable 3Gb/s.

Thanks for the reminder!!

I think my biggest stumbling block is going to find drivers that work. At least thats what I'm reading on some forums. :eek:

No more stumbling block, get it from the source here and dont forget at the download page, scroll down abit for the floppy driver as well for the F6 installation. Get the latest one !

Just a reminder, you don't need this driver if you don't do raid, an XP SP2 will do fine without it !

Thanks Bing!!

I was going to be installing XP SP2. Do you think I should be ok without installing the driver or should I try the F6 method anyways?

For non raid, actually you don't need that F6 method, just install the XP SP2 as normal. You can install that driver later once the OS is installed !

Thanks again Bing for taking the time to reply. That going to help a bunch.

Back