• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wrong Drive usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poopboypat

Hi im running windows vista RTM and i have about 300GB of space on the drive, i only have vista installed, and its telling me that i am using 40GB of my drive. When i select all my files in the drive it only says 7GB of space used. Is there any way to fix this? Or am I going to have to format? Thanks alot!!

I've never run Vista, but I know it still uses the System Restore feature ala XP (albeit somewhat improved from what I've read about it). Depending on how long you've been running the RTM / how many Restore points have been created, and how much HDD space you have allocated to the SR directory... up to 12% of the free space on the drive (36 GB on a 300 GB HDD) can be used. You may want to delete all but the most recent Restore point... Disk Cleanup tool | "More Options" tab | System Restore --> "Clean up" button (assuming Vista uses the same Disk Cleanup tool as XP, and has the same features), and then reduce the amount of space that SR allocates to maybe 2-5% or so. If you don't ever plan on using the SR feature, then you might as well disable it altogether.

Last edited:
Back