• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My dilemma of water cooling!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flanker12k

Registered
Okay so I finally got the nerve to decide to go water cooling! But wait! theres a slight problem, I already have a Zalman 9500CNPS fan, how powerful am I going to have to make the Watercooling setup to that it transfer more than my existing cooling, or is that even a valid concern.

Thanks

My specs are

X2 at 2.6Ghz (currently testing phase) @ 1.42volts
2GB of DDR II XMS2 800mhz RAM
Asus MN2-SLI board
6800XFX at stock

Water cooling is much better than that hsf+ water cooling your vid card rocks its droped my temps on the card by 30 deg . Plus it is fun =)
Welcome to the fourms .

BTW Y does your sig say "X2 at 2.6Ghz (currently testing phase) @ 1.42volts "
does that mean you are testing 2.6 or you are using a phase change system =) ?

Last edited:
The Zalman will come pretty close to WCing, however it will be a lot louder than a WCed system at full speed.

The biggest advantage of watercooling is noise reduction. Can look really cool too, if done right.

Dont WC your system unless you want things more quiet or like to mod.

I used to WC for the fun of it and to lower noise, never to get a better OC.

well I changed my sig to accurately reflect what I am doing,

awww, say it ain't so! Zalman is coming close to water cooling? What if I get TWO bonnieville 77 heater cores? I'm looking to push the envelope of my cooling

Yea they will be within 5-10 deg of each other . But as you add more volts the water will keep the temps down way better than Air will .

Water cooling is great but it is not for everyone. If you like to tinker and are willing to do a proper leak test and use quality components then it is the ticket. You will be able to overclock more with less noise.

And....

:welcome:

Water will also keep your load temps down better than air without your fan speeding up to cool more.

The better the parts you get the bigger the gap you will have between water and air.

Two heatercores may not give you as much as you think over one core.

Also what else in the system do you intend to cool with water?

CGR said:
Water will also keep your load temps down better than air without your fan speeding up to cool more.

The better the parts you get the bigger the gap you will have between water and air.

Two heatercores may not give you as much as you think over one core.

Also what else in the system do you intend to cool with water?

I don't have the damn clue as to what I should be doing, I read the guides I'm ready to go buy bonnieville radiator, thinking about an ehiem pump (don't know which). I read the "best parts" list and it said a heater core is not all that great and then i go on and read that a heater core will eat the other expensive radiators lunch (weapon's wording) so I'm kinda left confused. Major thing is I'm looking to push the envelope of my cooling. At the moment my load temps are at 54 degrees C at almost 4 hours into orthos blend test.
well for now I'll cool the CPU, what else DO I need to cool?
Thanks for the warm welcome guys

Last edited:
:welcome:

There are full coverage blocks for your 6800 as well and a single heater core (with the right pump and fans) should be able to handle them both. Water can easily beat over 50°C load temps - most people run 40°C load or less with a good OC.

If you want quiet the double heater cores would allow you to run quieter fans but won't increase performance very much ...

Back