• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

passwd reset disk weird behavior

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

julian

Registered
Hi,

I recently discover that you can create a disk to secure your password in case you sinner, loose it. I said, this seems a tool for me.

I changed password and ( via a pen drive) I created a passwd reset disk.

Since then, once my screen locks, hibernates, standby, the computer will not longer accept my password. I have to login with administrator and then login with the user password that just works fine while logging in, but not when retaking a session.

I have since then changed password with the user and without the passwd reset disk. I have changed the password from the administrator account. I have changed the password from F8/safe mode ( account and administrator).

It behaves all the same whatever the changes I make to the password. I run reg cleaner just in case something got mixed up .... it came barely clean..

everything works fine...I can even log in via remote desktop... but as soon as the screen saver/lock enters or the system enters standby... bye bye session...

I googled for a while but I haven seen posts of people with similar problems...

I am using XP SP2. (legal/original).

Thanks for any tips.

JCG

now.. this is really weird....

trying different things I discovered that introducing any blank USB disk in the USB slot will allow anybody to reset my password for this user....

so lets say.... somebody wants to login .... and is lucky enough to have a pendrive.. good.. after wrong password the reset password disk option is offered. You are happy to have the magic key, actually any key in this land is good enough. You just reset the password and you are done. Login without any problems...

I need prozac..... definitely this goes over my head....

I have windows XP SP2 with proper antivirus and firewall nothing really funny installed in the system besides office and a video editing software ( and of course firefox...).

JCG

I was quick to resolve it myself....

Hi,

I stumble on this just minutes later.

There is a bug in windows since April 2005..... unresolved that explains my headaches. In fact the security file was written to my C: drive instead of my pendrives... thus... it was always accessible.... whatever pendrive I was using.

you can read more on this microsoft link...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894686

Enjoy.

JCG

Back