• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant access data from dvd drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vento1

Help my system is this an Abit AW9D-max motherboard Cpu Intel X6800ee Graphics Ati radeon 850 Memory 1gig OCZ platinum and a Pioneer 110 dvd rw drive. The problem is this i did a clean install of xp-pro after installation when i put a disc into the dvd drive nothing happens if i open my computer it shows the drive if i select this drive i just get the hour glass symbol when i check task manager it shows my computer not responding i have been into the bios and changed every setting i can find relating to drives i have gone through device manager and it says the device is working properly i have try'ed the not very helpful trouble shooter went to microsoft's support page they just wanted to sell me crap. Any ideas

Edit I have removed the drive and tryed it in another pc running xp-pro it works fine.

Usually when this same thing happens to me, it is usually related to a bad burn, or has occasionally been a bad IDE cable. I once did a disc that would show all the files in explorer just fine, but once I tried to open them, or copy them, it would either lock up, or give me an error. I believe the error said something about redundancy. I think that problem was mostly related to bad media.

welcome to the world of non-functioning DVD-ROMS using an Abit board. There are many (like 100's) of people having this exact same problem. I am using the abit ab9, and have similar problems with the drive when trying to use it. I have tried updating chipset drivers as well as the jmcron raid/sata/ide controllers with no luck. I was able to install windows okay off the drive, but once windows loads, the drive is non-functional. Currently I am using that same drive in a external usb connection and it works fine. Some people were able to get it to work okay with driver updates, many just had to go out an buy a SATA DVD-burner, which is probably what I will do.

The way I understand it is;

Abit/intel developed the board with the intention of having no PATA support. Then realized that many people are still using it. Because the Intel chipset was already in place, a secondary controller was established on the board to control 1-4 more SATA ports as well as IDE function for PATA. Problem is, it doesn't like some IDE connections. All other SATA ports work through the intel controller.

Not sure what advice to give you here, other than you could try updating your chipset controllers and making sure that they are set to IDE in the BIOS.

Neuromancer the drive shows up in device manager which reports it is working ok.
ashenfang i was wondering if it was an abit problem as the drive works on my two asus boards, well at least im not alone with this, all my drivers are the latest. I think its time to look for a SATA DVD-BURNER.
Thanks everyone for the help.

maybe you need to get an update on the firmware of the drive. How old is the drive and what brand is it?

Back