• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5B Deluxe installation Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newhit

Registered
Hello to one and all :)

I've just purchased the above mb and have a couple of problems. The physical installation and POST are all OK but I'm a bit confused about installing XP. After said XP install can i use the ASUS CD which has out of date drivers and then just use Device Manager to update to the latest or do I have to install everything individually?
Also I have read that I need to install the RAID/SCSI driver whether I'm using RAID or not for my DVD drive. Is that simply a case of using the ASUS CD to create a disk and install from there?
There are numerous posts about the flaky sound but i also read that the latest drivers solve the issues. Is this correct? If not is there a fix I might have missed? (short of a separate sound card that is)

Thanx in advance and sorry if i sound abrupt or have missed a post about these issues.

WinXP should have all the needed Generic drivers you need to install OS. Once you do that, go to Asus site and get all the latest needed drivers, instead of using outdated once on the Asus CD.

Not sure about Onboard sound, i always used a PCI Sound card.

What ugly said. The only reason you would need the RAID/SCSI driver when you install is if your installing the OS on a SATA HDD.

i would just download the drivers and apps fresh offa the asus site, and while you are at it, grab the newest bios. hold on to the disk tho, in case you are ever stuck without internet.

Thanx for the replies.

I was wondering if the procedure is to just run each "exe" file from the ASUS site in the same order as shown in the manual and on the on the CD or is there any quirks that might interfere with this procedure.

newhit said:
Thanx for the replies.

I was wondering if the procedure is to just run each "exe" file from the ASUS site in the same order as shown in the manual and on the on the CD or is there any quirks that might interfere with this procedure.

Prolly not but I always seemed to go in this order:

Chipset Drivers > audio drivers > video drivers > LAN

Thanx once again.

Finally, this is the first time I've used a SATA drive and when installing XP do I have to first make a floppy driver disk (F6) at the POST screen to install the correct AHCI config before XP instals?

You dont need Floppy, XP CD has generic SATA drivers. And you can install updated drivers later. SP2 Will take care of the rest as well.

This is what i do, and i have most things saved on a different HDD.

WinXP> SP2> Intel Chipset Inf > All Hardware Drivers > WinUpdates.

Many thanx for everybody's help..........installation good to go.

PS
These C2D's are really easy to overclock. E6400 @ 8x400 straight in without a twitch at the bios before XP (I read that it's better to avoid 360-399). I wont bore ppl with all the numbers because I know you are all way ahead but suffice to say that coming from the world of AMD Bartons this is quite a leap........... Things might be different with XP in but it's still amazing.

I usually go to the mobo manufacturer site whenever I order a board and download all the newest drivers, utilities and BIOS files amd burn them to a CD. This way I have them before my board arrives. Then after install Windows I just run each individual .exe file needed and there is no need to clog things up with multiple outdated drivers. The F6 RAID drivers needed for chipsets are usually found at the chipset manufacturer website, although sometimes the mobo site has them as well.

Back