• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brass Radiator and Copper Waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flanker12k

Registered
Is it okay to have that?

Cause I just went to advanceautoparts and ordered a radiator bonnieville 77' I forgot to specify copper

Yes, most rads are brass tanks anyway... brass is 70% copper as it is. There is no worries with brass and copper.

sorry for asking such a nub question, The guy at the auto parts store looked at me funny :D

Heh...wait 'till you're at the check out lane with 4 packs of extra large queen sized black pantyhose saying they're for computer radiator filters. :D

Diggrr said:
Heh...wait 'till you're at the check out lane with 4 packs of extra large queen sized black pantyhose saying they're for computer radiator filters. :D

ROFL LMAO!!!!!:santa:

QuietIce said:
They eye-balled me pretty good too when I asked for TWO of them! They had to order the second one ... :-/
LOL me too!!! But they had both in stock :beer:
I just don't understand why they look at ya like your trying to buy some fresh blinker fluid when you want two heater cores...?

Gotta love helpful service people:
"Why in the hell do ya want two boy?? The car's only got but one..."

As for the second look, I just hold onto my old dryer sheets. That, and i just about gave up on filtering intake air when i realized i needed to clean out the case every two weeks anyway when i got to the dorms... filtered or not :shrug:

I guess I got lucky as the guy didn't give me any odd looks. I asked for a 86 Chevette HC a few years back. Was asked if I wanted the one for AC or without, I said didn't matter as I don't have a Chevette. He kinda looked at me a little odd and then I told him it's going in my watercooling loop in my computer. He didn't seem shocked by this and placed the order for me. However I did get odd looks back in the day going to Home Depot for barbs, clamps, PVC and such.

brass is fine ! i can share some experiences of people not havign a clue what you want and look at you as if youve got a jumbo jet sticking out your head :O

ive lost my iodine so ive been doing the rounds of chemists and pet shops... kinda avoiding telling them what it was for when they asked. but in the end i had to tell them it was 'actually for watercoolingin computers' their faces were just... great !

Rick

I have gotten these looks my self when picking up parts @ HD .

But i have always wondered how bad of looks the phase guys get . Like taking your system for a refill and a old timer wondering wtf you need -50deg in a computer for .

I have read that is harder to get the pipe out of the brass rads, and you can possibly tear up the rad trying to do it. It isn't because it is brass, it is the difference between the construction of the brass and the copper. I think it may have been in a sticky here that I read that so check that out, if I can find a link I will post it.

UBERCOOL said:
I have read that is harder to get the pipe out of the brass rads, and you can possibly tear up the rad trying to do it. It isn't because it is brass, it is the difference between the construction of the brass and the copper. I think it may have been in a sticky here that I read that so check that out, if I can find a link I will post it.
Take the pipe out?!?!? :confused: Oh, now that I've read through your link I see what you mean.

But why would anyone want to put restrictive barbs on a perfectly good piece of 1/2" ID copper pipe ...?

Diggrr said:
That's funny! You could have told them that you are preparing for a robbery and you have a very big head? LOL

Wicked Klown said:
I guess I got lucky as the guy didn't give me any odd looks. I asked for a 86 Chevette HC a few years back. Was asked if I wanted the one for AC or without, I said didn't matter as I don't have a Chevette. He kinda looked at me a little odd and then I told him it's going in my watercooling loop in my computer. He didn't seem shocked by this and placed the order for me. However I did get odd looks back in the day going to Home Depot for barbs, clamps, PVC and such.
I've bought a lot of stuff at my local HomeDepot. No it's to the point where one of the plumbing guys sees me coming and says "oh yeah you're the guy with water in his computer right?"

I've actually gone to a junk yard and measured heater cores. The guy at the yard kept asking me what kind of car it was for and I kept saying the size I needed. When I told him what I was using it for he was so confused he just let me look through their stock with a tape measure! LOL

As said before brass and copper are fine together. Hoot used brass tops on some of his copper based waterblocks but that is going back a few years.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles679/

My brass heatercore has the ribs exactly like Weapon's copper core does.
It was also a snap to replace the tubes on mine. They were just copper tubes soldered into brass flanged holes and they literally fell out once the solder was melted.

I've replaced the tubes twice on my core. It's been with me for years, and installed in several rigs over the years. 5/8" copper (1/2" rated size) from Home Depot fit perfectly.

Last edited:
R B Customs said:
brass is fine ! i can share some experiences of people not havign a clue what you want and look at you as if youve got a jumbo jet sticking out your head :O

ive lost my iodine so ive been doing the rounds of chemists and pet shops... kinda avoiding telling them what it was for when they asked. but in the end i had to tell them it was 'actually for watercoolingin computers' their faces were just... great !

Rick

Walgreens has it...so does Target.

Back