• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volume Control opens on system startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timzak

Weird problem...when I first turn my computer on, Windows Volume Control (sndvol32.exe) open up on my desktop, as if I double-clicked the system tray icon. It's no big deal, I just close it and move on (no other sound-related issues), but I'm wondering how I can stop this. I don't know what caused it to start, but there must be a registry setting I can change to stop this.

Anyone know?

BTW, I'm running Win2k SP4.

Thx.

id just try and uninstall my sound and re-boot and install ..

have you installed any new programs that have to do with your audio ?

is it in the msconfig option. if so click start, run and type Msconfig and uncheck it and restart.

I don't have msconfig...I think that is an XP thing. I have Win2k.

I checked a couple of different programs that list and allow editing of system startup programs (RegCleaner and Spybot S&D) and don't see anything in there that would indicate that sndvol32.exe is being loaded. The thing is, if it's supposed to be in the system tray, shouldn't be autoloading anyway? The difference is it is being maximized, or opened from the tray.

Okay, here's the tricky part. It doesn't ALWAYS do this. Some startups it does, others it doesn't and I haven't been able to figure out the difference between the two situations yet.

Any other ideas? Any registry areas to point me to?

Thx.

Back