• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WMP DVD issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

hey guys i bought me Extreme audio sound card and it came with a program called Cyberlink Power DVD. I used to play DVD's on my media player but now i cant it pops up with update video card, codec etc. any codecs that will run DVD's i bought the Nvidia plug in and im excited to see the video but i cant some reason.

any suggestions?

WeezleXX89 said:
hey guys i bought me Extreme audio sound card and it came with a program called Cyberlink Power DVD. I used to play DVD's on my media player but now i cant it pops up with update video card, codec etc. any codecs that will run DVD's i bought the Nvidia plug in and im excited to see the video but i cant some reason.

any suggestions?

How can i fix this so i can watch DVD's on my Windows media Player? I could before i Installed my sound card and installed the software.

I would try uninstalling WMP 11 then reinstalling it.

I just wish I could figure out a way to keep it from trying to play DVDs every time I put one in the drive. It is really annoying to have WMP pop up all the time when I might be wanting to watch the DVD later or something.

I'd say skip using WMP altogether and just grab the full version of the k-lite codec pack with Media Player Classic. It's a much better (IMO) and lightweight program based around the older WMP but with excellent DVD-specific features.

VLC is pretty nice as well and uses its own built-in codecs.

Nimblor said:
I just wish I could figure out a way to keep it from trying to play DVDs every time I put one in the drive. It is really annoying to have WMP pop up all the time when I might be wanting to watch the DVD later or something.
1. Start regedit (start->Run-> type regedit and click Ok).
2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Settings.
3. From the Edit menu select New, String value.
4. Enter a name of EnableDVDUI for the new string value (unless it already exists), then press Enter.
5. Double-click the new value and set it to No . Click OK.
6. Close regedit.

You'll probably then need to go into tools->folder options and under the filetypes tab you'll need to find the DVD type (should be near the top). At that point, click advanced and then edit the default action to be set to Open or Explore (you can also change it to run a different program like VLC or MPC)

Last edited:
Back