• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad SLi??? (GA-N680SLI-DQ6)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mobious

http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=4487

Now, in the article it states: "Quad SLI-Ready, Supporting NVIDIA Quad SLI technology, with true dual PCI Express x16 connectivity for up to 4 of the latest NVIDIA GeForce® 8800 GPUs..." Now, even my dog can figure out that there is no flipin' way you can: A. cram 4 8800GTX's on that thing, and B. plug in 4 8800GTX's when theres only 3 PCIe ports. Is this false advertising, or is there some way to warp physics so 4 GPUs of gargantuan mass and in need of a missing connector can fit? (Mind you, a standard ATX case only has 7 expansion slots, 4 8800's take up 8 o_O)

-Mobious-

No way that 4 8800's are fitting. They are going to need to put this on E-atx boards for that kind of room. Or they could have a bunch of slots with these crazy big ribbon cables coming out of them so you could put the actual graphics card somewhere else. Maybe a new quad 8800 card cage....

IAmMoen said:
No way that 4 8800's are fitting. They are going to need to put this on E-atx boards for that kind of room. Or they could have a bunch of slots with these crazy big ribbon cables coming out of them so you could put the actual graphics card somewhere else. Maybe a new quad 8800 card cage....

Did you read my post? Quad SLI has been around for almost a year now. Ever since the 7950GX2's come out.

This came from the article the OP linked to.
Quad SLI-Ready
Supporting NVIDIA Quad SLI technology, with true dual PCI Express x16 connectivity for up to 4 of the latest NVIDIA GeForce® 8800 GPUs, GIGABYTE Quad SLI ready motherboards provide flawlessly smooth 3D video rendering and screamingly-fast frame rates. With an additional PCI Express x8 expansion slot, users are able to add a standalone physics graphics processor for a significant boost of graphics performance, taking games to the next level of hyper-realist detail and effects.

Is this in production now? Or is this just a model board. Because, it seems to me that everything is just a liiiiiittttle close together for my likings. Looks like this board is going to have some issues with heat dispursement. Specially if someone decides to cram 2x 8800GTX's in there. Those are just my two cents

machdown said:
I think you guys are missing the point to this thread. Gigabyte claims that you can run 4 8800's yet theres only room for 3 of them.

The link says "up to 4 of the latest NVIDIA GeForce® 8800 GPUs", it doesn't say "up to 4 of the latest NVIDIA GeForce® 8800 graphics cards". There are cards out with 2 GPUS on them. Hence, you can get 4 GPUS, but have only 2 cards.

machdown said:
I think you guys are missing the point to this thread. Gigabyte claims that you can run 4 8800's yet theres only room for 3 of them.
Stacked cards = 2 GPU's per card... one of those slots is not an x16 slot it is an x8 slot which would be used or a RAID controller or something.
Knacko said:
The link says "up to 4 of the latest NVIDIA GeForce® 8800 GPUs", it doesn't say "up to 4 of the latest NVIDIA GeForce® 8800 graphics cards". There are cards out with 2 GPUS on them. Hence, you can get 4 GPUS, but have only 2 cards.
They are banking on an 8800 GX2 for quad SLi. I am not sure that will ever happen until they get cooler and need less power but that is what they claim the board will handle.

I believe we have come to a mood point here: YES the ad is misleading in that you can't fit 4 8800GTX CARDS onto the board, however it does say "GPU"'s. I don't know about you guys, but I use GPU openly as a short for "graphics card", whether or not Gigabyte did as well is unknown. From what I have seen thus far, the twin-board graphics cards were overly expensive to produce, thusly why they were discontinued quickly after the 8800GTX appeared. Is this a look into the future as far as nVidia's graphics card lineup for the G80 generation is concerned? We don't know, but I will say this: if the 7950 GX2 was as much of a budget loss for nVidia, I highly doubt they will try the same setup again with the bigger, and longer, G80 chipset. That's my $0.02, and fact of the matter is: untill they come out with either dual-core (one board) GPUs or go with the dual board setup again, this Motherboard can't live up to it's advertisement.

-Mobious-

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit... not graphics card. A CPU (central processing unit) is a processor not a processor on a motherboard. A graphics card is a GPU on a board not the GPU alone. You don't say well I got a new CPU today it was an Opteron 165 Asus A8N32-SLI Dlx man is it sweet. Gigabyte was perfectly correct in the claim they made. There is no false advertisement what so ever, we just havn't seen the 8800 GX2 yet but I bet we do from at least one company.

On a side note the GX2 cards/Qual SLi is more of a marketing gimick than anything.

You're probly correct MoW, and you are correct with the terminology Hero (I just use it as a shortening with my friends, makes typing it out a lot easier), I just can't really fathom a twin card 8800GTX. But who knows: dual-core GPUs (the proc, that is) have been rumored for over a year now, but if they go back to the GX2 format it would be more of a marketing gimic than anything else (Hero). If it is, it makes you wonder if any other companies will follow suit.

-Mobious-

Back