• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dent in my new Thermochill - Should I Send it Back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheSonOfX51

Disabled
So I received my new Thermochill PA120.3 yesterday and I opened it up and there is a dent in it! It doesn't look like it is really bad but it is right on a pass in the radiator. I haven't checked to see if it leaks but it doesn't appear to have cracked it. The pass is a little widened and some of the fins are messed up but it is fairly shallow. None of the fins are detached and there is just a little paint missing from one side of the pass. Its about 1mm deep.Here are some pics of it with my camera phone. Sorry they are bad, its the only camera I have.

thermochilldentgh1.jpg

Last edited:
long as it doesnt leak Id expect it to perform fine.

if it bothers you cosmeticly and you have the patience to send it back, go for it.

Yeah, if you have the patience to wait, and it really bothers you, then send it back.

I know after I spent $120+ on a RAD, I'd want it to be in new condition.

I would send it back, especially if it is going to be visible. You may be able to call and get and advanced replacement if you are anxious to get things going.

if it isnt leaking now, it shouldnt in the future, Ive seen way worse on all sorts of cars and such.

cap one end of the radiator, put a tube on the other, submerge it in your sink filled with water. blow.

air will escape way before water would ever leak. if you see any remote resemblence of bubbles forming there, obviously return. if not, you can rest safely.

If it doesn't leak and you will not see it don't send it back. If it bothers you send it back.If it doesn't leak now it shouldn't leak later.

It is probably not going to leak because it just the fins, I know I have mashed some fins on my bonneville before.

i was at the mountain mods warehouse not long ago and witnessed the condition of the box from the shipper
, it looked like they droped it from a plane with no pading or shiping material arround the rads
ben and i opened a couple of the rad boxes that looked like they should have damage ,but no damage
if it bothers you send it back if not enjoy the performance

Breaking any fins wont make a radiator leak, like was mentioned. Instead of jamming rods through fins take a small screw driver and insert it in between the fins and slightly rotate it. After that it should be easy to slowly screw the threaded rod through the fins.

As for the dented rad, if you won't be able to see it with the fans in place then I wouldn't send it back. Seems like more of a hassle than it's worth.

I had my GT Stealth 240 radiator slide out of position and dent the fins on one side when I was first setting up my water cooling loop. I was ****ed at myself! I just took a long needle and poked through the fins to straighten them all out. I even took a sharpie marker and recolored the fins just for looks.

Back