• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for a e6700 and gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woca

Im getting an e6700 and im not sure what motherboard (whoops) to get

i was looking at

NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard for SLI if i get it later and maybe overclocking
Or
Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2

Im not sure if Im gonna overclock or not

Last edited:
I assume you mean what motherboard to get. The E6700 is the processor.

The Intel board cannot be overclocked so you would not have the option there.

If you think you might go with SLI then the first choice is just fine. If you are not going to use SLI then consider a board with an Intel chipset (P965 or 975X) which will allow matrix RAID (ICH7R or ICH8R). Since the hard drive is the slowest part of the computer, anything to speed up that subsystem will have a noticeable effect.

Read a few of the posts in this section to get a better idea of what people are using and why.

Intel D975XBX2 board CAN be overclocked, and it is a good board. But it doesn't support SLI, only CrossFire.

If you want true SLI, then get a board with nForce680i chipset.

My mistake on the Intel "Bad Axe". Intel has for so long denied overclockers that I automatically eliminate them from contention. They are stable boards but not known as overclocking ones. You may even need a special BIOS to really get the best overclocking functions.

Back