• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compression software for MP3's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I know what an MP3 is. However now that I have my collection like I want I was wondering if there is some way I could select all my mp3s and compress them into an archive that would be considerably smaller so that I could put my whole collection onto one disk. Any ideas? So long as the program doesn't take a week to figure out how to use i'd like to do it. I know it would require some serious computer time but I'm not worried about that.
DUck

I am fairly certain that since mp3 files are already pretty mcuh compressed, you can't make them "considerably smaller" without a huge quality loss, and even then i'm not sure. i guess you could try to rar it at maximum efficiency using winrar, but it would prolly just make a huge file almost the same size as the added up mp3 files.

Don't take this for granted tho, wait untill someone more knowledgable speaks about it :)

ToiletDuck said:
I know what an MP3 is. However now that I have my collection like I want I was wondering if there is some way I could select all my mp3s and compress them into an archive that would be considerably smaller so that I could put my whole collection onto one disk. Any ideas? So long as the program doesn't take a week to figure out how to use i'd like to do it. I know it would require some serious computer time but I'm not worried about that.
DUck

MP3s are already compressed if you are referring to a WinRar or Winzip type program. You may compress them a few more percentage points but it's not worth it.

yeah, you aren't going to get much more out of them, they are already compressed.

I took a file with the following specs:

Size: 7204736 bytes
Header found at: 1136 bytes
Encoder Delay: 576, Zero Padding: 0
Length: 180 seconds
MPEG-1 layer 3
320kbit, 6899 frames
44100Hz Stereo
CRCs: No, Copyrighted: No
Original: No, Emphasis: None

Original size shown on disk: 7,204,864 bytes
After compressing with WinRAR's 'best' option: 7,142,299 bytes
A difference of 62,565 bytes

Another file (VBR):

Size: 6198754 bytes
Header found at: 1189 bytes
Encoder Delay: 576, Zero Padding: 1296
Length: 210 seconds
MPEG-1 layer 3
236kbit (VBR), 8056 frames
44100Hz Joint Stereo
CRCs: No, Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes, Emphasis: None

Original size shown on disk: 6,198,882 bytes
After compressing with WinRAR's 'best' option: 6,195,654 bytes
A difference of 3,328 bytes

I take artists out of itunes that i'm not listening to at the moment and drop them in a file with winrar. not for compression reasons but because i can have several albums in one file.

anyway, even with 200mb or so of music, it will only compress a percent or two, even at maximum.

i don't know a whole lot about compression algorithms, but i know that mp3's are already compressed and therefor really can't be compressed much more. it's the same concept as zipping a file and the zipping it again, it doesn't make the file any smaller.

Darn. I was hoping there was a way to compress and store for another day :( Ah well. Tons of DVD's it is!

Back