• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Noob Alert!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Behemoth71

Registered
Well as the title suggests I'm a total noob when it comes to overclocking. I built a really nice computer some time ago with the wonderful help of everyone on this board (THX BTW) and then promptly crawled back into the cave that is my studies and haven't surfaced to breath 'til now. All that said, I've used Guru to oc a bit, though not very much. My numbers are not anything like the ones I've seen around here today, so I thought I could get some fine tuning advice specific to my chip and board (E6600 and the AW9D) from you guys/gals, the experts, so to speak. Here are my cpu-z scores and most makes sense to me, though the clock and multi, look like they should be better. Anyone have some advice? Keep in mind my noobdom, I need to know the best way to change these settings with this MoBo, up 'til now it's all through windows based Guru progie.

Cpu-z 1.38 Details:

Proc. Box
Voltage 1.213 v

Clocks [box]:
Core Speed= 2631.0
Multiplier= x 9.0
Bus Speed= 292.3 (oc'd from normal 272)
Rated FSB_ 1169.3

Mem. Tab:

General [Box]:
Type= DD2
Size= 2048 MBytes
Channels #= Dual

Timings [box]
Freq.= 365.4 MHz
FSB: DRAM= 4:5
CAS # Lat.= 5 clks
Delay= 5
RAS# Precharge= 5
cycle time (Tras)= 25 clks
Bank Cycle= 21 clks

I'm sure this is somewhat incomplete but as I'm unaware how to upload the sreenies on this page it will have to do. Does any of this look wonky or out of place? Is the Multi suppose to be lower? Aren't the bus speeds suppose to be in the 400s or am I totally confused on the subject. Also is there a new bios for the Aw9D, I heard a little scuttlebutt about one, but as I mentioned earlier I've been in a hole for a while. Thank you for the attention, I'm slowly getting the hang of this.
-B

Edit: I reread this post and it didn't seem like my questions were very clear, so... Can I, as a first time OCer just boost the Guru bus setting to get more out of this chip? I know the most of you use Bios level OCing but as I'm still a little new to this I was wondering if Guru was maybe a safer version. To those of you who use it, do you just crank up the Bus speed incrementally until you get an error or do you throw it up to a pre-determined number and then test it from there? Is there a need to change the other settings, ie; VCore, MCH, DDR2V, etc. or will the bus increase set a ratio that brings the others settings in line with that setting?

Last edited:
The multiplier is 9X by default. It's locked upwards, so you can't raise it. Default CPU FSB is 266 (although Abit runs it a little faster as their default). You're doing fine so far. By the way, I have an AW9D-Max.

Sure, you can O/C through uGuru, it is pretty safe. Eventually when you know what settings are 100% stable, you can go make the changes in the BIOS. We can help you with that when the time comes.

Speaking of BIOS, you might want to update it (depending on what version you have right now). There is a program called Abit FlashMenu that comes on the install CD that is easy to use. I can link you to more info if you are interested.

The best thing to do is raise FSB in small increments. Then check load temps and test for stability. If you can run 320 FSB with the memory ratio at 4:5 like it current is set at, then you'll have your RAM in spec at DDR2-800. That should be your next goal (9X320-2880 or 2.88 gig).

Welcome and good luck.

Thanks Batboy,
That "thank you" to members for past help, includes you, I have the Abit due to req's by you and Maji so a personal thx to you. So just inch up the ext clk and leave the VCore and MCH set at where they are? I did download the latest beta bios, though I admit I have yet to implement it; I'll look on my MB cd for the Flash manager you suggested. A little OT but since you have the big brother of my board have you considered the Matrix Raid 0 option, I think I recall from earlier reads that you don't use it, but do you know the procedure? I've got two almost identical HDDs (capacity is different) and was planning on setting a raid up but I'm unsure about how windows installation will handle it. If you know great! If not, no big woop, I'll ask around for a guide; the manual is sparse concerning the topic. Thank you again for the advice, always helpful.
-B

Well you may be new to Ocing, but thats a nice setup to learn on.

Leave your vcore and mch stock for as long as you can. At some point you will need to raise them and it takes a little playing around to get the right combo for your cpu & mb.
You will all so need to change you ram divider in your bios to 1:1 at some point after 350fsb or your ram may start to hold you back.

For you info
I can run stock volts at 370fsb, 3.3Ghz, ram 1:1
I need to up the vcore to 1.4 & mch to 1.55 for 380fsb, 3.42Ghz, ram 1:1
And 1.55 vcore and 1.65 mch for 400fsb, 3.6Ghz, ram 1:1 at this speed my ram is now running in spec again DDR2-800

All of the above is 100% stable.

But what Im now running 24/7 is 1.5vcore, 1.6mch at 400fsb, 3.6Ghz, ram 1:1. And its like a Rock for everything I do it just wont do 24 hours of 2 X Prime or Orthos. but Im ok with that.

oooooooooooo, fresh meat!!!

too bad core2 isn't my specialty. good luck. :D

I can't help you much with the RAID setup. You can probably find info on the Abit forum about how to do it.

Back