• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a core of a multi core processor for upkeep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil_inc

I was talking with traldin about a defrager that he found along with one that runs as a background process. Would it be a viable add-on to use one core to constantly defrag, update, and scan with antivirus/spyware software? and could the hard drive acess priority be lowered on these programs so as to not interfear with any main program running? Kind of like having someone follow you around and pickup after you instead of waiting till the room is so dirty that you cant walk through it to clean it up.

atleast with O&O defrag ive never seen the cpu usage go over 5% on my core duo.

most anti-viruses i have used monitor files in memory before they are written anyways..

i don't see how this would be useful, and either way defragging your harddrive constantly would only put unnecessary wear on it.

If you used O&O defrag you'd only have to use it occasionally and not constantly, but it does have a "stealth" defrag. mode designed to run in the background for servers and such.

Back