• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with cleaning out aluminum and copper rad..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdfreak04

I currently own a r120 cooler master w/c setup, and i have a spare rad from the coolermaster r80 w/c setup in which i would like to add to the system along with and aquarius 2 thermal take rad that also and 80mm fan rad...

I would like to clean out the aluminum rad, i had a previous w/c setup r80 cooler master .. and i ran straight water not knowing i'd ruin the pump and carrot the copper. the rad however is still good.. it looks to have some lime deposit in it.. is there any chemical i can use to clean out the rad to ensure it is cleaned out? i'd also like to clean out a copper rad, the copper rad looks like its clean inside the ports as apposed to the aluminum but i'd like to clean them both out anyways :)

any suggestions to cleaning out the aluminum and copper rads ?

thanks
-steve

Do not use aluminum and copper in the same loop. It will lead to galvanic corrosion unless your mix is 50% antifreeze 50% distilled. Doing so will negatively affect your temps.

S'a bit harsh Capt...(?)

5 to 10% Zerex : 90 to 95% Distilled will be fine to keep corrosion at bay for at least 6 months at a time... drain and refill with a fresh mix every 6 months and should all be fine...

Rad cleaning has cropped up many times on here - do a search for "vinegar"

Captain Slug said:
Do not use aluminum and copper in the same loop. It will lead to galvanic corrosion unless your mix is 50% antifreeze 50% distilled. Doing so will negatively affect your temps.

i heard that it does lead to bad things in a wc setup, but it makes no sence if thats bound to happen unless you run 50/50 anti/disteilled... why does the cooler master system use a copper block and aluminum rad? Doesn't not make any sence to me, and i know as a fact that inside that w/c setup its not a 50/50 mix.. it would be to thick on the pump to run that...

I'm useing vinger as i write this to clean out my aluminum rad and my copper rad.. i hope it works ..

-steve

Last edited:
amdfreak04 said:
why does the cooler master system use a copper block and aluminum rad?
To cut corners on cost. And no a 50/50 mix is not too thick for the pump to feed.
If you mix aluminum and copper in your loop you're going to see corrosion without the proper mix. Nevermind that aluminum makes a mediocre conductor with water and that thermaltake makes very restrictive and inefficient radiators.

why cooler master uses both?

because they're a horrible water cooling company. they cut corners every which way they can. why do you think that 70% of the time we say never get a w/c kit. but for some reason, no one listens.

(theres only a few good cooling kits)

darkcow said:
why cooler master uses both?

because they're a horrible water cooling company. they cut corners every which way they can. why do you think that 70% of the time we say never get a w/c kit. but for some reason, no one listens.

(theres only a few good cooling kits)

It was free... who cares lol... friend gave it to me :p

Back