• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DS3: Max overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
So I've been out of the loop for a while. What's the max FSB on the DS3 now with the latest bios?

Haven't tried overclocking since I hit 3.64ghz at 520FSB with F6. I figured: "Why would I need to go any higher?"

If you got an e6400 then why do you have the multiplier set to 7 instead of 8. You could technically be geting 520x8 which is 4160mhz. A 95% overclock which is very impressive.

Running a lower multi can lead to faster RAM speeds which will increase performance if the CPU tops out before the memory does.

@op 520 that is impressive for a budget board.

Immortal_Hero said:
Running a lower multi can lead to faster RAM speeds which will increase performance if the CPU tops out before the memory does.

@OP 520 that is impressive for a budget board.

Yeah the memory is basically doing 1040mhz at that speed. And it was indeed because the CPU was topping out before the memory.

I haven't tried the newest bios yet. May be able to hit 520... or at least 500 on that. Highest I could hit at 8x was about 434 or so. Still hardcore... but far from what I wanted. I'll change cooling maybe when I move back to Chicago and give her another go.

Immortal_Hero said:

How does that work? Wont the ram just burn out running at 520mhz. Does it have something to do with the fsb:ram ratio?

Also at 520x7 youd be getting a clock speed of 3.64 however if you had your fsb at 450x8 youd be getting speeds of 3.6. Right? How do you know which ones better?

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=151175

ram couldn't go any further. BTW, my cpu wasn't near its limits and the board was only at +.1 northbridge and +.1 fsb. Got a lot more. Its on F6 bios.

ps: That was the first / only time i ever tried to overclock to the max ;) i heard the new bios will get you a little further.

machdown said:
How does that work? Wont the ram just burn out running at 520mhz. Does it have something to do with the fsb:ram ratio?

Also at 520x7 youd be getting a clock speed of 3.64 however if you had your fsb at 450x8 youd be getting speeds of 3.6. Right? How do you know which ones better?

Simple (actually complex). SuperNade brought up the point that dropping the multi and raising the FSB actually overclocks the NB. Hence 3.64ghz at 7x will be faster than 3.64ghz at 8x... or was it the other way around? Look for posts written by SuperNade. It was first discovered on Xtremesystems.

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 & PC6400 memory timing limitations?

I'd like to get this board for my daughter's new system I'm building her.

However I saw a disclaimer that PC6400 memory timings can't be tighter than CAS 5 or 6 and the voltage has to be 1.8v for Intel 965P boards.

I saw some nice PC6400 memory that is 4-4-4-12 and 1.9v. Is this going to be possible to run with this ram?

G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-1GBPK
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231094

I'm sure your daughter won't notice the difference running at CL5. You might consider a 2GB set of CL5 DDR2-800 in lieu of a 1GB set of CL4 DDR2-800. IMO most of the RAM issues with these boards seem to occur when using CL4 DDR2-800, but that's really your call. I was able to run my DS3/E6300 combo at 3.5 GHz/500 MHz FSB with the F10 BIOS @ 1.45V. But I was using a 2GB set of CL5 Corsair Twin2X PC2-6400. It was an old Week 24 stepping, but was a really nice CPU.

I just sold the combo to a guy at another forum who then fried the DS3 with a bad PSU. He thought I might have sold him a bad board until he fried his buddy's mobo with the same PSU. I'm sorry it met such a bad end since it was such a nice board.

Thanx for the answer Dave.

I don't sell hardware to people unless I know them or I set it up for them.

Too many RMA babies out there who won't take responsibility for their own mistakes.

Audioaficionado said:
I'd like to get this board for my daughter's new system I'm building her.

However I saw a disclaimer that PC6400 memory timings can't be tighter than CAS 5 or 6 and the voltage has to be 1.8v for Intel 965P boards.

I saw some nice PC6400 memory that is 4-4-4-12 and 1.9v. Is this going to be possible to run with this ram?

G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-1GBPK
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231094

Buhh? Look at my sig. 100% stable in memtest.

Back