• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want To Try Watercooling - Have Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
First of all see sig for details on computer.

I want to give water cooling a try for performance and noise reasons. Also it is a realm of computers that I have not tried yet. My first plan is to replace my Antec P180 with a Coolermaster Stacker 830. I want the Stacker because it has more room and the PSU will be at the top of the case. My OCZ 520 is streched to the max getting the 8pin connectoe to the P5B-D in the P180.

Now for the questions:

Would a 12v pump tax my OCZ 520 too much? I plan on getting an 8800GTS in the future and really do not want to buy another PSU. If so I could go with a 120v pump. Keep in mind that my comp is connected to an APC 1500va ups.

I want the WC setup completely contained in the CM Stacker. Which Radiator should I look at getting. I would prefer a computer desigined Rad. but an auto heatercore would be acceptable so long as it does not require major modifications. If I had to go external on the rad. it would not be too much of a problem so long as I could somehow mount it to the back or side of the case.

Waht would be the best, cost is no object, CPU block and what would be the best value in a CPU block?

Do I need a reservior. Since they are not that expensive I am thinking I should get one to make the WC system easier to refill.

What is a good chipset block for the P5B-D?

I have no interest in water cooling the video card right now but may want to in the future. Thus I may need a little bit of extra cooling power. I will NOT be considering SLI or CF in the future (Been there, done that, sold the other 7800GT, never looked back).

That is all I can think of now. I am sure I will have more questions in the near future.........

Thanks in advance for the help!!

orion25 said:
First of all see sig for details on computer.

I want to give water cooling a try for performance and noise reasons. Also it is a realm of computers that I have not tried yet. My first plan is to replace my Antec P180 with a Coolermaster Stacker 830. I want the Stacker because it has more room and the PSU will be at the top of the case. My OCZ 520 is streched to the max getting the 8pin connectoe to the P5B-D in the P180.

Now for the questions:

Would a 12v pump tax my OCZ 520 too much? I plan on getting an 8800GTS in the future and really do not want to buy another PSU. If so I could go with a 120v pump. Keep in mind that my comp is connected to an APC 1500va ups.

I want the WC setup completely contained in the CM Stacker. Which Radiator should I look at getting. I would prefer a computer desigined Rad. but an auto heatercore would be acceptable so long as it does not require major modifications. If I had to go external on the rad. it would not be too much of a problem so long as I could somehow mount it to the back or side of the case.

Waht would be the best, cost is no object, CPU block and what would be the best value in a CPU block?

Do I need a reservior. Since they are not that expensive I am thinking I should get one to make the WC system easier to refill.

What is a good chipset block for the P5B-D?

I have no interest in water cooling the video card right now but may want to in the future. Thus I may need a little bit of extra cooling power. I will NOT be considering SLI or CF in the future (Been there, done that, sold the other 7800GT, never looked back).

That is all I can think of now. I am sure I will have more questions in the near future.........

Thanks in advance for the help!!

I cant answer all your questions, but Ill try to tackle the ones I can.

First off, I never had a Stacker, but I know they are large cases, and it should be NO problem to keep your WC loop inside.

Your PSU should be fine for just adding a pump. I dont see any issues there.

Right now people are saying the D-Tek Fuzion, and Apogee GT are the tops for CPU blocks. They are both brand new, so who knows for sure yet. The Apogee regular and Storm are proven winners as well, and they say the Apogee is tops for QC's. Any of those should be good.

You dont NEED a res, but personally I suggest one. It makes the loop look nicer, and it IS easy to fill (but then again so is a T-line). I, again just MY opinion, do not like the T-line fill port. Its look odd and out of place, but if looks dont matter, it is easy to use.

I am not familiar with your mobo, but I am pretty sure the MCW30 will work for you. Its another Swiftech product, that I use as well, and it comes with different mounts. Just a note it only came with 3/8 barbs when I ordered it. I didnt have the option to choose, so whever you buy it from make sure you know what barbs you are getting.

Not a great shot but you can kind see this chip block.

Other people here with much more exp can help you out way more than I. Good luck on your preoject.

I got the black ice GTstealth 240 radiator for my stacker 830.

it's arriving tomorrow, by the numbers it should fit on the bottom of a case over the grate it has.

realisticly, we'll see if it makes it in there with the mobo and door fan bracket installed.

nice rig Loki...ive been dreaming of a new case.. a cube or a thermaltake mozart... maybe set my wifes rig up in a nice Lian Li v2000b

if only money grew on trees

smokie mcpott said:
nice rig Loki...ive been dreaming of a new case.. a cube or a thermaltake mozart... maybe set my wifes rig up in a nice Lian Li v2000b

if only money grew on trees

Trust me...if it wasnt for my wife getting me this case for X-mas, I would still be using my Armor Jr. But I LOVE this case. Cude is great.

ares, can the Stacker fit a 2x120 rad in the front?

its possible I suppose, but then where would the hard drives and all that jazz go?

I didnt measure it.

on the floor makes more sense from a air flow point of view I think. dont think I can get a 240 to fit on top due to the PSU. front has hard drives, cddrives, ect. bottom seems available, might need to get creative with the fan door though. we shall see. otherwise, perhaps Ill mount it under the case... with the wheels attached, should be enough clearance. have to wait and see; inside the case would be better, leave the radiator less exposed.

you shouldn't have a problem. and with the mcp355 you should use a modded top for better flow capabilities.

Back