• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS to offer 'Mini' volume discounts to retail Vista Ultimate users.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

In order to help promote Vista in homes with multiple computers and small businesses, Microsoft is offering up to two Vista Home Premium licenses [reg. price $239 for Full or $159 for Upgrade version] for $49 when a retail Full ($399) or Upgrade ($259) version of Vista Ultimate is purchased.

Details here. [TWO page article]:

http://www.computerworld.com/action...ewArticleBasic&articleId=9008438&pageNumber=1

I'm not sure if the article makes it clear whether you would be getting Full or Upgrade versions of the discounted Home Premium licenses. Nor did it give any details about how Microsoft would make this offer available.

Captain Newbie said:
Since Microsoft copies everything that Apple does, Microsoft should sell three licenses in a box for $150. That way, I could pay for it. :)
QFT my friend. I won't go into my rant, but MS would sell a lot more OS's if they made them more realistically priced. Their pricing points are just beyond stupid.

When I posted this, I was in no way advocating the idea that this was a good deal by any means. But it does indicate that M$ may be moving in the direction of easing pricing for average users.

Evidently, demand for the new O/S has been soft at best. I estimate that M$ will try to keep retail pricing at current MSRP for at least 6 months in order to harvest the low hanging fruit (read: gullible early adopters). But this move indicates that M$ may be amenable to offering discounted pricing in the near future. This is in stark contrast to pricing for Windows XP which M$ has been pretty much left unchanged since its release.

Back