• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How thick does a shroud have to be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ARCJr

The disadvantages of working within an HTPC case are rearing their ugly heads again. There is a limited amount of room between my rad mounting location at the back of the case and the tubing coming out of my CPU waterblock. So, the bottom line is, how much space does there need to be between a fan and a rad to eliminate the "dead zone"?

If you fans are pulling vs pushing the dead zone should be smaller . IDK about the shroud question

The difference from adding a shroud will be minimual, I wouldn't worry about it in a SFF case. I would say a 1°c to 2°c drop if you get any.

unless your OCing your HTPC(and why would you? not much going on with them IME) the difference shouldnt matter anyway.

If there's room behind the case, I'd mount the rad on the outside and the fan on the inside with a ~1" shroud.
Or you can put the fan/shroud on the outside to get a full 1" if the tube routing would be painful.

The ideal shroud depth is ~5 times the diameter of the fan...not too good for our purposes, eh?

Back