• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing Title/Path of My Documents folder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

When I origianally set up my computer I used the username Lord God...which was later changed to Clayson. However, the My Documents folder still has the path stated below. Consequently, any documents printed from this computer now have the path C:\Documents and Settings\Lord God at the bottom of them.
How can I change the path name to reflect the change in username?

I would imagine renaming C:\Documents and Settings\Lord God to C:\Documents and Settings\Clayson would work. Even though you changed your username, your profile is still tied to the old name.

You may need to log in as another user having administrator rights in order to do this however (I would recommend it under any case).

run->cmd->set HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\Clayson
run->cmd->set USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Clayson
run->cmd->set APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\Clayson\Application Data

logout of Clayson log on a different account and rename the Directory \Lord God to \Clayson. You could try this while you're logged on but there's a good chance some files are locked. Also be aware that some programs may have a hard path set to their application data so they will break when you move it (this is why windows didn't rename the directory to begin with). I recommend getting Junction and placing it in your windows\SYTEM32\ folder. Then,

run->cmd->cd C:\"Documents and Settings"->junction -s "Lord God" "Clayson"

What you just did is create a symlink to trick any applications which still use the old path.

Last edited:
also rightclicking properties of the my documents folder from the standard start menu will give option to move this folder. I keep mine on the slave

Actually what I said is bogus. I don't know what I was thinking but set only changes variables for the shell you're in.. The system hides this variable in System->Advanced->Environmental variables so I think you may be forced to use his method to change your my Documents path although I can see that causing problems. You can still do a junction to change the directory path and I think that will cause all names to resolve to \Clayson although I'm not positive.

Back